Using Virtualmin and Bitnami

I’m using CentOS 6.4.

I have Virtualmin and a version of Bitnami setup. Both are working fine, independently (I disabled the system Apache and MySQL, to use the Bitnami contained versions).

Is there anyway to create a new VirtualHost so that it works with Bitnami?

I’ve changed the values under /etc/webmin/apache/config (I realized you could do this via the browser after, hah).

If I point the Bitnami Apache server to try read from the Virtualmin-generated folder, I’ll get a 403 Forbidden error. I presume this is due to being a permissions issue.

What can I do to have everything working? It would be nice to be able to use Virtualmin’s features (and have AWstats!) and mix well with the Bitnami stack.

Thanks!

While I’m not an expert on these things, it seems to me that trying to get Virtualmin and Bitnami to work side-by-side is like trying to run two Linux distributions at the same time on the same machine. :slight_smile:

You will certainly run into a lot of issues with this. So I suppose the first question would be: Why would you not use Apache and MySQL, but still want to use Virtualmin?

Thanks for the reply. I am not super-experienced with Linux and having something like Virtualmin for simple management is always helpful.

I’m looking to have it all. As I mentioned, I am using the Apache/MySQL provided by the Bitnami container and was hoping to have Virtualmin work with it instead.

Howdy,

Yeah, unfortunately, Virtualmin was designed to work with a different set of packages, on a freshly installed version of CentOS.

It’s not that it couldn’t be made to work – but it’s going to be a fairly steep uphill battle trying to get everything to work together properly.

Virtualmin comes with an Apache package that’s designed to work in /home – the reason you’re getting errors at the moment is that, by default, other Apache packages are designed for that (specifically, suexec is compiled to work with /var/www).

You could always change the PHP Execution Mode to instead use mod_php though… it’s less secure, but also a quick way to get around that.

To change that, go into Server Configuration -> Website Options, and there you can modify the PHP Execution Mode.

-Eric

Understood. Thanks for the response!

One last question! Is there a way to run a post-script after a VirtualHost is created?

Sure, you can setup a script to be run after creating a Virtual Server in System Settings -> Virtualmin Config -> Actions upon server and user creation.

-Eric

Those scripts are nifty, they also get executed when a user or server is modified. Using env variables you can query what exactly was performed.