Using same top level domain with virtualmin

Hi
I have deployed virtualmin on a Ubuntu 18.04 server
the server has hostname server1.mydomain.tld
I have email and DNS hosted elsewhere for mydomain.tld

I have a few issues, which I hope someone can help with
I I send an email from manager@mydomain.tld, or any other account on @mydomain.tld, then the server will respond after some time with “451 4.4.0 DNS query failed. The error was: DNS query failed with error ErrorRetry -> DnsQueryFailed: ErrorRetry”
Sending from @mysecondomain.tld to an email hosted on server1.mydomain.tld does work fine.
So it seems as if they are on the same primary/top level domain, then the server is unable to receive the email.

Additionally, if I create a virtual server in virtualmin for mydomain.tld, then the server is completely inaccessible on the hostname, as virtualmin will skip back and forth between the webmin certificate and the *.mydomain.tld certificate generated by virtualmin.

How can these two issues get resolved. I am using GPL btw.

If I create a virtual server in Virtualmin for mydomain.tld, then the server is completely inaccessible on the hostname.

Whenever your DNS server is, it should have a record about where your new server1.mydomain.tld is, and how to resolve it. (A and/or AAAA) records at least.

Sending from @mysecondomain.tld to an email hosted on server1.mydomain.tld does work fine.

It might happen, because your second server has the records about first server.

How can these two issues get resolved

Start from pinging your target from different locations and use dig command to get more details. Make sure that your actual DNS server has records about your new server1.mydomain.tld.

1 Like