Using email clients to access emails on virtual servers

I’m unable to connect to my virtual server with other email clients. I read this: https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/email/pop-and-imap and I may be confusing things. When it says “hostname of the Virtualmin serverr” is that the hostname found by typing following into command-line of the server -> hostname -f

Would the below info be correct if my domain name was domain.com and my Virtualmin server hostname was server.domain.com

Email address: something@domain.com
IMAP/POP3 username: something.domain
Incoming Server: mail.domain.com
Outgoing Server: mail.domain.com

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

What distribution do you use? Tell us more information.

Above your information look okay, however, the imap username should something.domain.com instead something.domain

For incoming/outgoing…
Test the email clients by using the IP address. Should connect.
Then test using domain.com, should work
Then test using mail.domain.com. Wont work without DNS entry for mail.domain.com pointing to same ip as server.

The correct user name will be listed under virtualmin, edit users, IMAP POP3 FTP login. Thats what has to be used. Some versions of virtualmin are different depending on how you setup default user names.

I’m running latest CentOS 7. I thought I’ve tried the IP address just to be sure and it didn’t connect… it said incorrect username or password in which I know it’s right. the username matches what’s in virtualmin and my DNS stuff is correct btw. I’m just going to nuke what I have a do a fresh install on an ubuntu server instead. I normally use ubuntu anyways but wanted to try CentOS. Thanks for help guys. I’ll update this if my fresh install works :smiley: