using a new IP number

hello - i am trying to add a new IP address (sorry i forgot how to do this). i start out here:

Webmin–>Networking–>NetworkConfiguration, and i select “Host Address” and enter it there.

however, when i go into “Network Interfaces” there does not seem to be a way to enter it here. i get the following message when i try using eth1 as a name:

Device eth1 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

my first question - what should the name be? eth0 is already taken. i seem to recall something like eth0_1 but i forget how to do this (sorry)

and then when i try to enter it here:

Virtualmin–>AddressesAndNetworking–>SharedIpAddress

i get this message:

Failed to save shared IP addresses : '199.231.187.6' is not currently active on the system - use the Network Configuration module to enable it
And finally when i attempt to use the new IP number, i get this message: Updating IP address in virtual server marksdomain.xyz to 199.231.187.6 .. Finding virtual IP interface for 199.231.187.6 .. .. could not find any interface with IP 199.231.187.6 ! Changing IP address in DNS domain .. .. done

Changing IP address of virtual website …
… done

Saving server details …
… done

Re-starting DNS server …
… done
Applying web server configuration …
… done

are there any instructions, step by step, on how to get the new IP number working?

Howdy,

How are you looking to use that IP address in Virtualmin? Are you trying to setup a particular domain with their own private IP address?

-Eric

yes indeed i am !

got it (with help) – the secret is in the naming convention.

i had to use

• eth0:0
  • eth0:1
for my add-on IP numbers.

Howdy,

To assign a new IP to a domain, all you’d need to do is go into Server Configuration -> Change IP Address… and there, you can add the new IP in the “Use private IP address” field.

It will handle creating the network device if it doesn’t already exist.

What you did works as well though, and that is indeed the correct naming convention if you wish to add the IP address manually (that’s the Linux naming convention for an ethernet alias).

-Eric