Usermin (port 20000) not accessible

For some reason I can’t imagine I can no longer access my Usermin page at all. Accessing my domain/IP via the 20000 port simply hangs the page and it keeps loading forever. Occasionally, it eventually gives up and in the case of Chromium, it gives the “didn’t send any data” error. The odd thing is that this didn’t happen before. I’ve had my server up and running for a year or so and I never had any issues accessing the Usermin page. This problem has been here for a few months now, but right now I actually need to access it to configure some stuff.

I’ve tried the usual stuff. Updating the packages, restarting the server, restarting the Usermin service, temporarily disabling the firewall, checking to see if said firewall is configured (it is), and other than that I can’t think of anything else that could be wrong. I’m running Virtualmin on a Debian 9 VPS. I’ve searched this issue and found nothing about it anywhere, and I’m completely lost as to what to do next. Any advice?

Thanks

Hi,
i have had similar problems with Usermin in the past.

I went into webmin>usermin configuration and changed the default theme for usermin to a different one (the default is authentic). Try one of the older more basic themes and see if it loads for you.

Apart from this, most of the time i have found Usermin does not load properly when there is a mail server configuration issue. So perhaps try going back to basics and go through all of your postfix and dovecot install and check everything is correct…this may be easier if you temporarily spin up a second VPS and install virtualmin o that instance (without altering anything)…the go through the two of them side by side and see where they are different.

Oh also, search through your log files for mail (postfix, dovecot, usermin etc). It might require you to take special note of exactly the time you attempted to log into usermin to help narrow down which log entry is relevant to your problem (as sometimes servers can have dozens or log entries every few minutes).

kind regards
Adam

Hi,
i have had similar problems with Usermin in the past.

I went into webmin>usermin configuration and changed the default theme for usermin to a different one (the default is authentic). Try one of the older more basic themes and see if it loads for you.

Apart from this, most of the time i have found Usermin does load properly when there is a mail server configuration issue. So perhaps try going back to basics and go through all of your postfix and dovecot install and check everything is correct…this may be easier if you temporarily spin up a second VPS and install virtualmin o that instance (without altering anything)…the go through the two of them side by side and see where they are different.

Oh also, search through your log files for mail (postfix, dovecot, usermin etc). It might require you to take special note of exactly the time you attempted to log into usermin to help narrow down which log entry is relevant to your problem (as sometimes servers can have dozens or log entries every few minutes).

kind regards
Adam

Hi. I’m actually just a complete idiot. The reason it wouldn’t load was because SSL is enabled and I had to add https in my address bar.

Just putting this out here in case anyone has the same issue as me. Thanks for your reply though.