User Interface sluggish and constantly "thinking"... tips to speed up?

yes, I checked. It was gone…

Can you share the output of:

grep -r -E "^pre([lm])" /etc/webmin/

Also, are all pages equally slow or just the DNS Options page? Can you provide more data about some other (3-5) pages?

Most pages take 2-3 seconds to load, some close to 4-5… here is the output

grep -r -E “^pre([lm])” /etc/webmin/
/etc/webmin/miniserv.conf:preload=virtual-server=virtual-server/virtual-server-lib-funcs.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-unix.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-dir.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-dns.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-mail.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-web.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-webalizer.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-ssl.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-logrotate.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-mysql.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-postgres.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-ftp.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-spam.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-virus.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-status.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-webmin.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-virt.pl virtual-server=virtual-server/feature-virt6.pl
/etc/webmin/miniserv.conf:premodules=WebminCore
/etc/webmin/virtual-server/config:preload_mode=2
/etc/webmin/virtual-server/last-config:preload_mode=2

All seems good!

I doubt if there is anything we can do about it. The average page load shouldn’t exceed 1 second on average. Some pages, like DNS Records, can have a slower load time, especially if cloud DNS is used.

1 Like

ok, thanks for trying, I’ll test on a local VM with high specs and compare, maybe it’s just the VPS that’s a bit sluggish. Thank you for your time and support, very much appreciated!

You should know that Contabo is well known for being heavily oversold and highly IO limited.
Any and all operations will just worsen over time and you should ideally consider a different host.

2 Likes

I believe contabo is to blame. I had a vps with them once and cancelled same day. Even the console was slow.

2 Likes

I’m the first one to admit I live by the principles: “you get what you pay for”… and having a 6GB RAM SSD VPS for less than 6 USD per month, I guess I’ll need to live with the slowness of the UI.

Until anyone finds me a VPS with these specs and US location at this price, I’ll just have to deal with it, I guess…

$ 5.50 / month
4 vCPU Cores
6 GB RAM
100 GB NVMe or 400 GB SSD
1 Snapshot, 32 TB Traffic
Unlimited Incoming

Websites themselves are nice and snappy, as I can use memcached thanks to the generous RAM of 6GB… And thankfully, even if that is “overloaded”, it’s as fast with 1 user or 100…

So my thinking was, if I can load a page in WordPress in less than 1 second, why does the UX take 2-3 seconds… I understand one is PHP and one is PERL, but one is fast and the other isn’t…

If Virtualmin could cache more and better, I guess page speed coudl be faster, but I appreciate not everyone has all this RAM for UX caching purposes, so all is good…

They are completely different problems. WordPress is providing read access to data in a database that rarely changes, and that can be cached as simple HTML pages. Virtualmin is showing you the current state of the system (what’s actually in the configuration files at the moment you load the page) on every page load. There is no database in Virtualmin, and mostly nothing else that can be “cached” without serving you wrong data. We’re not willing to serve wrong data, just because disk access is slow. It would be dangerous and confusing to misrepresent the state of the system.

That has almost nothing to do with it. They’re just doing completely different tasks.

It would be possible to make Virtualmin pages slightly faster if everything were stored in a database, but the cost of that is that it would become impossible to edit config files from the command line or using other tools. (But, Virtualmin isn’t normally all that slow. The behavior you see is unusual. I can’t reproduce it on my VMs, and we’re hosted at low-cost VM providers, as well. Our VMs are hosted by Vultr and Scaleway, mostly, neither of which is renowned for being blazing fast.)

I don’t know if Plesk has a database and generates configuration files from templates on save (making it dangerous/impossible to edit config files yourself), but if it does, they may have a slight page load advantage since they’re basically doing the same thing WordPress is doing; they wouldn’t be parsing config files on page load, since they wouldn’t be working directly on config files. As someone that manages a lot of web servers, I think that would suck really bad; I don’t know it that’s what they do, as I have very limited experience with Plesk.

Why not setup a fresh VPS the same as the one you are using, install Virtuakmin with nothing else and see how it responds?

If it’s still slow then you have your answer being the server host.

If it’s much better, you might try to transfer some sites over and see what happens to both servers.

Yes, it does, and that’s presumably why it appears faster… I didn’t know that virtualmin doesn’t use any database at all, that of course explains things, as there many more disk io operations to process, which takes time…

Yes, my VPS is sluggish as I’ve come to realize, but the websites are blazing fast, so I guess I’ll have to live with this for now, as I’m not willing to move to another VPS just for the back-end to be a bit faster! Thanks for your support!

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.