URGENT! Need to close open relay

This thread is a perfect example why to use sendmail instead.

Sorry but postfix is the most confusing mail server I have ever had to deal with. There is nothing logical when setting it up.

That’s a classic. Scott, you and I have different definitions of “confusing”. :wink:

Extracted from a sendmail.mc I found on the web:

divert(-1) dnl This is the macro config file used to generate the /etc/sendmail.cf dnl file. If you modify thei file you will have to regenerate the dnl /etc/sendmail.cf by running this macro config through the m4 dnl preprocessor: dnl dnl m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc] /etc/mail/sendmail.cf dnl dnl You will need to have the sendmail-cf package installed for this to dnl work. divert(0)dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl OSTYPE(`linux')dnl define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.myisp.net.')dnl undefine(`UUCP_RELAY') undefine(`BITNET_RELAY') define(`confAUTO_REBUILD') define(`confTO_CONNECT', `1m') define(`confTRY_NULL_MX_LIST',true) define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true) define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/bin/procmail')dnl define(`LOCAL_RELAY', localhost)dnl define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,novrfy,noexpn,restrictqrun')dnl define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A')dnl LOCAL_USER(`root')dnl TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl FEATURE(stickyhost)dnl FEATURE(redirect)dnl FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl FEATURE(nouucp, nospecial)dnl FEATURE(`allmasquerade')dnl ...

And that’s the simplified M4 version of the sendmail configuration. sendmail.cf is a creature from the blackest depths of hell.

Of course, we’re happy to support folks using sendmail–it’s a fine MTA. Really quite nice in a lot of ways…but man is it ever confusing (I’ve been administering mail servers for years and I always have to consult the documentation when configuring sendmail…almost never with Postfix).

Boys, Boys, behave!!! :wink:

As I pointed out, without the Webmin M4 config module sendmail would really be the pits to setup. When I used Slackware it didn’t even come configured with M4, just the Slack rendition of Sendmail which wasn’t enterprise friendly at all.

I stick with Sendmail because I use it and feel comfortable with it with less modifications. Postfix made a descision on the @domain username and has stuck with it, kudos for not changing canoes. I prefer the @domain without the kluges to expand the username possibilities bill@domain.com, bill@domain.net, bill@domain.info (noted in a different thread).

just my 2cents