Upgrading Joomla 1.5 with script installer

Hello!
I have a couple of Joomla 1.5 installations on my Virtualmin Pro server, which are managed with the script installer function. However, the domains are not listed to upgrade to Joomla 1.6/1.7/2.5/3.0 so basically I am stuck with 1.5.
Since version 1.5 is not being maintained anymore and is being activelly hacked, it would be nice if I could upgrade those installs to something newer.
What can I do?

Howdy,

Unfortunately, Joomla doesn’t provide an automated method for upgrading from 1.5 to a more recent version. Joomla has different branches as you’re seeing, but there aren’t simple upgrade paths between them.

There is a way to do it, it’s just a manual process.

There’s documentation here on how to upgrade from Joomla 1.5 to 2.5:

http://docs.joomla.org/Migrating_from_Joomla_1.5_to_Joomla_2.5

That of course kind of sucks, but it’s ok we will have to live with it :slight_smile:
But assuming we upgrade those installs to 2.5, how will Virtualmin Script Installer know we got the new version?

Howdy,

Some of the Install Scripts can automatically detect when they’ve been manually upgraded.

I think Joomla is one of those… though I’m not entirely certain :slight_smile:

If it’s not detected as updated after the nightly cron jobs run, you’d need to edit the Install Script config, and update the version listed in it.

The Install Scripts are in “/etc/webmin/virtual-server/scriptlog/”.

The numbers you see in that directory represent domain ID’s (the internal ID Virtualmin assigns to the various domains on your server).

You’d need to do some searching to find the Joomla script configs. For example, this command will show you all the Joomla Install Scripts:

find /etc/webmin/virtual-server/scriptlog/ | xargs grep name=joomla

And then you could edit the resulting file names, and change the “version=” line in those.

-Eric

Thank you very much!