Upgrading from 5.5 to Mariadb 10 - permission issues

I decided to try and migrate to MariaDB 10, worked very well and I noticed a noticeable improvement in performance.

The problem is that I realized that there were all kinds of permission issues, so I restored my installation (VM so just a few clicks)

Is an official way to do this through virtualmin that will do checks and reapply user permissions?

Thank you

SR

Howdy,

Unfortunately, there isn’t a supported way to do that… we actually tend to recommend against it, as it means using a non-standard MySQL version.

The one included with your distro gets a lot of testing, bugfixes, and security updates. It also won’t cause any config or permission issues, which is a common problem when changing MySQL versions.

Is switching to a different distro/version an option? CentOS 7 comes with MariaDB, for example (and others may as well, I don’t recall which).

If that’s not an option, what we’d recommend then is just testing the upgrade procedure on a test server until you sort out what all needs done to get it working.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I’d rather stick with CentOS 7, it’s been very reliable and I’m familiar with it.

I really liked the increased performance that I saw with MariaDB 10, nothing scientific but considering my perceived load times on my site were much faster and heavy queries were just eaten up instead of driving up my processors I’m thinking I will take your advise and just do more testing before rolling it out.

Are there plans for this being an option for Virtualmin?

Thank you,

SR

Ah, I misunderstood what you meant initially, I was thinking you were just looking for MariaDB… but since you’re already on CentOS 7, you have MariaDB already.

What you did is change to a newer MariaDB version.

That doesn’t change the answer unfortunately, but it does help me better understand things :slight_smile:

Making that an option isn’t in our plans at this time.

Virtualmin goes out of it’s way not to use customized software, as we always recommend using the software that comes with your distro whenever possible. It’s the best tested and most secure way to software on your server.

That’s not to say you can’t use a newer MySQL/MariaDB version though.

Some people do run non-standard software, it just means you’ll need to do some testing on a different system first to determine how to switch to that software without causing problems on your live server.

-Eric