Upgrade Virtualmin

Do I understand that the current installer will install mariadb by default ? The reason for this question is mariadb does not have Support for lateral derived tables which mysql has. I just ‘upgraded’ to mariadb and found a whole bunch of queries fail due to this issue ( see https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-19078 ). so if VM does add maria as default it may be worth altering that & asking the question as to which db server to install.

@jimr1,

Depending on the distribution, either MariaDB or MySQL is default within Virtualmin 6. However, since they are both binary compatible, it’s quite easy to swap. For instance Ubuntu installs with MySQL by default and since I like MariaDB I simply, post Virtualmin install uninstall MySQL and install MariaDB and things just work.

With RedHat based systems MariaDB is usually the distro’s default option, but again you can simply uninstall MariaDB and install MySQL post install.

Virtualmin 7 will be switching to MariaDB as the default for most, if not all distros. Once again, because the two are binary compatible, you can easily at least at this time swap between the two based on your preference.

I guess I should have been a bit more clear on this. What I meant was that you can essentially uninstall MySQL/MariaDB then install the one of your choice after doing the initial Virtualmin install you should be fine. This assumes you have NOT loaded any database at this point. Importing databases generally is quite trivial afterwards though depending on the table type and unique features you may or may not experience some incompatibilities.

Thanks @Joe for correcting my statement on the binary compatibility matter and clarifying a few more details @jimr1 hopefully all the responses provided have been helpful.

1 Like

perhaps there needs to be a warning stating that maria doesn’t support LATERAL queries as the link post says consider this query

SELECT t.b FROM t1, LATERAL (SELECT * FROM t2 WHERE t1.a=t2.a) AS t 

that doesn’t work in maria but works in mysql.
what is the trick to preserving the data when you switch from one to the other ? Or is it a case of just dumping the data then re importing ? Does webmin handle changes like this or can I run both via the webmin interface ?

so when install fresh webmin later this year (ubuntu 22.04) will this mean maria is installed and prior to restoring the domain I will have uninstall maria and install mysql … yet another thing to remember to do, shame webim doesn’t do distribution updates

hi @jimr1 no - it means maria db replaced whatever bad code was there… or obsolete or crap ware… there is no other questions - so what you actually asking here? let me rephrase the question for you - do you want to install crap-ware or proper software?

yes you need to uninstall shit from your old server if you upgrading to new one - hello? that is the purpose of the update -meh!

don’t you guys every read what is in front of you I’ll spell it out for you .
MARIA DOES NOT SUPPORT LATERAL QUERIES MYSQL DOES SO THEREFORE ON UPGRADE IF MARIA IS INSTALLED BY DEFAULT THE USER WILL HAVE TO SWITCH TO MYSQL IF ANY OF THEIR CODE USES LATERAL QUERIES. this may problematic for a user that is non tech based.
Please don’t use swear words there is no place for them in a civilised discussion

yes I see that - last time ive use them was long time ago - like 2013 or 15… so?

EDIT - its just a question…

1 Like

I can use same words and don’t see them as swear, but it is very ok to point out you don’t like those words, and so we can take care of it if we are write here to your topics, if we don’t like we don’t write then you also has to respect . :wink:

I mean it well, we all have to be kind off asertif to let others know about things we don’t like.

LATERAL queries where only introduced in MySQL 8.0.14, 21-01-2019, POSTGRES somewhat earlier, but Seriously… MariaDB is the only DB I know that still doesn’t support LATERAL / OUTER APPLY.

Minor quibble: MariaDB and MySQL are no longer binary compatible. They are almost entirely compatible from an app or user perspective, but you still need to dump/restore when moving from one to the other (but you also may have to do that when changing major versions of either or changing database storage engine format, etc., it’s not very dramatic).

1 Like

Webmin does not install any database. The Virtualmin installer does. Virtualmin 7 will default to mariadb on all distros, in all cases.

You could also customize the installer to suit your needs, if you’re be doing a lot of installations and need them all to have MySQL instead. We will continue to support MySQL, as best we can, but it will not be in the default installation. MariaDB seems to have the most enthusiasm from distro developers, and among our userbase, so we’re standardizing on it to simplify the default user experience.

Nothing stops anyone from making their own custom experience, if they know enough to know why they want something different and how to get there. I’ve documented making custom versions of the installer a few times over the years, but in your case, you’d just need to create your own virtualmin-lamp-stack or virtualmin-lemp-stack package (https://github.com/virtualmin/virtualmin-lamp-stack-ubu) with mariadb switched to mysql and use it instead of ours to pull in the dependencies. The rest of the installer is already pretty much agnostic about which database to use.

1 Like

I must be talking in another language, The point has been answered in the post by Joe

After you do switch to mysql from maria webmin shows this

but another odd side effect of this was my load averages dropped by about 20%, this perhaps indicates that maria & mysql are moving further apart. All the queries I run were developed & tested using MYSQL and did not show higher load averages. I’m adding this for reference as in the future it my bite someone

There was no difference in the queries, database or code using the the resources, so as I pointed out mysql & maria are diverging which may cause problems in the future for some.
To be fair webmin has been untouched since install, (2020) apart from updates . As vmin will now install maria by default I thought I would test it out before the install of Ubuntu 22.04 … which in turn will be a fresh install of vmin so I installed maria which then gave my problems with LATERAL queries. I disabled the queries in my code & continued to test maria. I noted memory usage and server loads over 24 hours . Since then I have uninstalled maria and reinstalled mysql and re ran the code that was running … There was an instant drop in CPU load but the memory consumption stayed about the same. I am being particular here as I am coding an API which I want to use as little resources as possible. I’ll let mysql run for 24 hours, noting the memory & cpu usage then do a full comparison

This is just a cache. Try deleting /etc/webmin/mysql/version file to have labels updated.

That did nothing

What are your expectations? What doesn’t work?

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.