Update failed


some time ago I ran an upgrade on by virtualmin. I did use the upgrade module of the gui.

My current version is 1.44 Theme Verstion is 6.7.

Afterwords I logged on to my server again and got the picture below:

Well, all modules are gone. I mean they are still installed but the menu is empty. Now I would like to fix that somehow.

I tried to find out how to upgrade virtualmin to the newest version using the linux shell. Does anyone know how to do this?

Or does anyone know how to get back my modules? :slight_smile:

Thanks!<br><br>Post edited by: dusk, at: 2009/05/13 00:04

We need to know how you initially installed Webmin. There are four different package types provided at Webmin.com or from the repos here at Virtualmin.com.

Since this is a CentOS system your options would have been RPM or tarball. Which one did you use?

I did use the "virtualmin-install.sh"…
as I remember I modified it to accept centOS.

I attached to log.

here is the log [file name=virtualmin_install.zip size=10476]http://www.virtualmin.com/components/com_fireboard/uploaded/files/virtualmin_install.zip[/file]

OK, good. So it’s an RPM install.

The right way to upgrade is always to use yum (which uses RPM). The Virtualmin Security Updates module provides a friendly GUI for yum…you should have it in your System Information page.

I’ve never seen an upgrade performed via RPM do this to the root user, but I suspect you can bring it back to sanity by editing /etc/webmin/webmin.acl and fixing the root: line to include all modules. Mine looks like this:

root: backup-config change-user usermin virtualmin-notes webminlog webmin servers acl bacula-backup init passwd quota mount fsdump inittab ldap-client ldap-useradmin logrotate mailcap mon pam proc at cron sentry software desktop man syslog syslog-ng useradmin virtualmin-init security-updates exim virtualmin-awstats apache bind8 pserver dhcpd dovecot fetchmail frox jabber ldap-server majordomo mysql openslp postfix postgresql proftpd procmail qmailadmin mailboxes sshd samba sendmail spam squid sarg virtualmin-google-analytics virtualmin-mailman virtualmin-svn virtual-server wuftpd webalizer adsl-client bandwidth xinetd ipsec inetd krb5 firewall exports nis net pap ppp-client pptp-client pptp-server stunnel shorewall virtualmin-registrar idmapd filter burner grub lilo raid lvm fdisk lpadmin smart-status time vgetty cluster-passwd cluster-copy cluster-cron cluster-shell cluster-software cluster-usermin cluster-useradmin cluster-webmin cfengine heartbeat shell custom extjs file tunnel phpini cpan htaccess-htpasswd telnet status updown virtualmin-dav virtualmin-htpasswd virtualmin-slavedns translator server-manager virtual-server-gpl nettools php-pear ruby-gems virtual-server-svn dfsadmin dnsadmin ipfilter ipfw smf virtualmin-oracle virtualmin-mysqluser virtualmin-signup

Note that it’s all on one line. The forum will chop it up (and using the code tag would make this thread completely unreadable).

You may then have to edit some of the per-module ACLs to regrant root unlimited privileges. You can do that in Webmin->Webmin Users->root

The only time I’ve seen this behavior is when someone has made a virtual server in Virtualmin and set it to being “owned by” root. This would then turn root into a normal virtual server owner with very restricted access (but probably more access than it looks like you currently have…though not by much). Since this is a nonsensical thing to do (all virtual servers are fully accessible by root, making one owned by root makes no sense)…if that’s how you got here, I’d advise not doing it in the future.

I’m just guessing wildly though. I’ve never seen this exact behavior before, so I don’t actually know why it happened.

Thanks for your detailed reply!

my /etc/webmin/webmin.acl looked like this:
": virtualmin-svn"

I added you root-line. Now all modules are back!

Thanks a lot!