Unknown Collectinfo.pl Error

Hi!

I’am trying to set up Virtualmin GPL in one of our server(Ubuntu 8.04.1). Webmin v1.470 is working flawlessly but the Virtualmins collectinfo.pl script doesnt work and sends me error messages like that:

Subject : Cron <root@…> /etc/webmin/virtual-server/collectinfo.pl

Message contents:
Error:
Error

And thats it, nothing specific in the message, so i cant even imagine the errors nature.

The Virtualmin installation seems to work (… your system is ready for use by Virtualmin.), but I dont manage any user, e-mail or domain via Virtualmin yet, because of the collectinfo.pl error.

Hrm, that’s a fairly uninformative error message collectinfo is providing there :slight_smile:

Are there any odd error messages that show up in /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog at about the time you receive the collectinfo message?

Also, are you on some sort of VPS? How much RAM is in your system?

Thanks,
-Eric

There is no error message in the /var/log/messages in that time, and the /var/log/syslog just informs me about the cron and mail events

May 4 01:01:01 /USR/SBIN/CRON[29060]: (root) CMD (/etc/webmin/virtual-server/collectinfo.pl)
May 4 01:01:04 postfix/qmgr[5412]: DD61AE23A: from=<root@…>, size=542, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
May 4 01:01:04 postfix/local[29092]: DD61AE23A: to=<blaszlo@…>, orig_to=<root>, …(delivered to mailbox)

I am not on a Virtual Private Server, I am managing the whole OS, not just a virtual slice of it. The system has got 4GB RAM and most of the time 3GB is free, yet.

I am not a Perl Script expert, but i am managed to edit (for troubleshooting reasons) it

From this :

chdir("$root/virtual-server");
exec("$root/virtual-server/collectinfo.pl", @ARGV) || die "Failed to run $root/virtual-server/collectinfo.pl : $!";

To that:

chdir("/usr/share/webmin/virtual-server");
exec("/usr/share/webmin/virtual-server/collectinfo.pl", @ARGV) || die "Failed to run /usr/share/webmin/virtual-server/collectinfo.pl : $!";

After that, when I started the script, it is eated half of the cpu for several minutes but still doesnt collected any particular info.

-Thanks,
BL

Well, when working properly, it should:

1. Not bother you with email :slight_smile:

2. Update various states, including the information on the System Statistics screen in Virtualmin

It’s not actually necessary, and also doesn’t need to run as frequently as it does by default. If you don’t require the information it updates, you can reduce the frequency in which it runs, or shut it off altogether.
-Eric

Sorry for the doublepost, Firefox played a joke on me.

Already reduced the frequency of the scripts run because of the error messages.

I am familiar with the collectinfo stuff and want to use its informations to run a hosting service with all of its features.
But now the "main" frame of the virtualmins page is blank, doesnt show any info about virtual domains or anything.
The "List Virtual Servers" link is also shows me a blank page with 2 horizontal line although a virtual server is already made. Top of that i cant delete this virtual server, the familiar 2 lines are there and nothing more.

Maybe these are the effects of 1 problem (hope so), or there are numerous "bugs" in my installation.

Yeah, I’m not sure what’s going on there. You might just need to file a bug report so that Jamie can look into it.
-Eric