CentOS 7: Unable to start BIND after Webmin update

Hi.
After I update the latest vmin update recently, I noticed the server status on BIND server stop / not started.
I try to open the BIND DNS config page on webmin, and it shows:
The primary configuration file for BIND /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf does not exist, or is not valid. Create it?

With this options:
Setup nameserver for internal non-internet use only
Setup as an internet name server, and download root server information
Setup as an internet name server, but use Webmin’s older root server information

Additional info, I still can do NSLOOKUP on a domain in this server.

Any help would be great on what to do next, thanks.

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Operating system CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Webmin version 2.001
Virtualmin version 7.2
Usermin version 1.860
Authentic theme version 20.01.1:5

I had the same problem… a solution is here. BIND DNS Server uninstalled - chroot issue on 1.999-x update - #27 by Ilia

1 Like

Thanks! it seems fix the problem.

Solution from said link:

The annoying thing is this update was supposed to fix this problem. I’m not sure why you’re seeing it.

Unlike other users that seemed to experienced it in the prior update, I didn’t. So it was my first time to see it on my server.

Could that you installed Webmin 1.999 first (this is where that bug was introduced) and only then installed Webmin 2.001?

From which Webmin version did you upgrade?

Previously this server was:
Operating system CentOS Linux 7.9.2009
Webmin version 1.999
Virtualmin version 7.1
Usermin version 1.854
Authentic theme version 19.99

and during this update, as like nyudoka said, we don’t find that error before, and we never had a problem. Until last night we upgraded to Webmin version 2.001 and Virtualmin version 7.2, the problem appeared.

For those who is still seeing this issue what is the output of:

cat /etc/webmin/config | grep os_

os_version=15.9
real_os_type=CentOS Linux
os_type=redhat-linux
real_os_version=7.9.2009

I highly doubt that this is possible while upgrading from Webmin 1.994 directly to 2.001. This bug pops when installing Webmin 1.999 only.

I would assume that you installed Webmin 1.999 and simply didn’t notice this bug?

Nope. We certainly check for such errors after every webmin update such as the server status page.
During the update to 2.001 which resulted the error of BIND as stated before, our monitor status also report:

Monitor on xxxx.com for 'BIND DNS Server' has detected that the service is uninstalled at 25/Sep/2022 15:40

also it produce error message on virtual server daily backup:

Copying records in DNS domain ..
    .. domain not found!

There is no way we did not notice this kind of error if it happens before the update.

So should we at this stage hold off on this update? My config is as follows

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version AlmaLinux Linux 8.6
Webmin version 1.999
Usermin version 1.854
Virtualmin version 7.1 Pro
Theme version 19.99
Package updates 3 package updates are available

I currently have no issue with BIND and am running the supposed buggy 1.999?

AlmaLinux was never affected by this bug.

Can I login at your system and have a look?

Nevermind. I think I still see an issue here for users who has never saved Webmin Bind module config.

Anyone with CentOS 7 needs to make sure that /etc/webmin/bind8/config file has the following directives added at the end of the file before installing Webmin 2.001 upgrade:

auto_chroot=
chroot=

We will try to fix that issue for 2.002 release.

1 Like

This also happened to my CentOS 7 after I installed the updates. I immediately noticed that BIND wasn’t running and all dns records were gone for each domain hosted. So I freaked out and restored the previous day back up of my VPS server on Vultr. Now my dashboard appears to be messed up and is missing a bunch of stuff.

Any idea how to fix this dashboard issue now?

You should check on /etc/webmin/virtual-server/config and /etc/webmin/system-status/config files and that they are in place and look correct.

Moreover, using UI you could check Webmin ⇾ Webmin Users: Edit Webmin User / Available Webmin modules / System Status / Module Access Control and see if all system information to show is selected.

Although, I don’t understand how you’re getting this issue if you’re restored from a snapshot. I would suggest to simply revert to the state before restoring from a snapshot and fix a Bind module issue as described on my previous comment.

All the config files are there, don’t know if everything inside them is correct.
Everything is selected under Available Webmin Modules. Unfortunately I can’t go back to the state before I restored from backup because I didn’t save that state. Should it be safe now to install the updates again after I applied your fix?

Yes, sure! That bug is simple to fix as all one should do is to replace those two lines in Webmin Bind config file.

I’m sorry but replace what with what? Based on your post it says to add those 2 lines to the end of the file.