Unable to Login

Operating system: CentOS 7
OS version: 7.9.2000

I switched to a server admin and then wanted to log back into the main account. Now I keep getting a login failed when I try to log into webmin. I tried to change the password via ssh and it still wont let me in. Any suggestions on what to do?

To add to this, none of my clients are able to login.

Check the Webmin logs (/var/webmin/miniserv.error, probably).

Switching to a server admin can’t have broken logins for anyone. It’s basically a read only thing; just changes what user account the session is associated with. So…if nobody can login, it is unrelated to you using the switch user feature.

I tried to change the password via ssh and it still wont let me in. Any suggestions on what to do?

In addition to what Joe already mentioned, I would like to point out that you should change the password for virtual server owner using virtualmin modify-user command.

Thanks for the information. I ended up rebooting the server and it finally let me back in. Not sure why it was refusing my login or client logins, but I will keep these tips in mind if it happens again.

Thank you!

I would do that Ilia said, even if it was just some sort of a bug. Better safe than sorry.

There’s no need to do what Ilia said at this point, since the problem is resolved.

I actually wanted to stay “I would still do …” instead of “I would do …”.
And that’s just because I like to be on the safe side, that’s why I would do a step which might be optional.
Didn’t wanted to spread panic or so … or give the wrong impression.
Even though the issue itself sounded interesting.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.