Ubuntu x86_64 problems

Hi there, I successfully installed virtualmin on a Ubuntu Linux 8.04 with x86_64 architecture…

But when I try to create a new virtual server, it gives me a fatal error looking for i386…

Is there a way for me to get the current installation to work with my 64bit OS or can virtualmin work in mixed 32bit and 64bit mode? And what files would I need to make virtualmin work without reinstalling the entire os and all the files currently on the server.

Thanks in advance, it is revolutionary what virtualmin is doing to provide an alternate cpanel for the rest of us…
Thanks again and keep up the great work.

But when I try to create a new virtual server, it gives me a fatal error looking for i386...

I have no idea what you’re talking about. We need to see the actual error. This isn’t normal.

Virtualmin doesn’t care about architecture–it’s a pure Perl application (as is Webmin and all of the other bits and pieces that you’d be seeing in the UI). If you’re seeing architecture errors in the UI, then your Perl installation is broken, and that’s not something we have any control over.

And, of course, all compiled code is available for both i386 and x86_64.

Anyway, to be clear: Virtualmin runs fine on 32 and 64 bit systems.

Hi Joe, thanks for the reply. Here is the error that I get when I try to create a new virtual server or if I go into Network Interfaces:

Unable to open /etc/modprobe.d/arch/i386

and below is the copy and paste: any help would be appreciated:
my box is linux Ubuntu 8.04 x86_64.

Module Index
Network Interfaces

Interfaces Active Now 	

Interfaces Activated at Boot Time 	

Interfaces listed in this table are currently active on the system. In most cases, you should edit them under the Boot Time tab.

Select all. | Invert selection. | Add a new interface.

Name 	Type 	IP Address 	Netmask 	Status

255.255.255.0 Up
lo Loopback 127.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 Up
Interfaces listed in this table will be activated when the system boots up, and will generally be active now too.

Unable to open /etc/modprobe.d/arch/i386
<- Return to previous page

Also under my directory:

/etc/modprobe.d/arch/i386 does NOT exist on my hard drive but

/etc/modprobe.d/arch/x86_64 DOES exist.

Hope that helped…

Hmm…Interesting. That’s a bug in the net module in Webmin (and a retarded file layout on Debian/Ubuntu…no other distro uses arch-dependent directories for this purpose, and I can’t imagine why one would need an arch-dependent layout).

File a ticket in the tracker with the same info as in this post (just the errors you’re getting from Network Interfaces…the Virtualmin thing is a side effect), and Jamie will get it fixed and hopefully provide a workaround.

Ok Joe, I will post this error in the tracker…and hope you can help. thanks.