Ubuntu: virtualmin-lucid remains in sources after failed upgrade to precise

I tried to upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS but it failed at the very end.
I’ve noticed that an entry with lucid still remains in /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/ubuntu/ virtualmin-lucid main

It is safe to change it to precise and to run
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

then?

Howdy,

Well, it’s hard to say what’s safe to try, as it’s hard to tell the state of your server at the moment. It depends on what failed and why that occurred.

If you wish to re-attempt the upgrade though, there are instructions here for performing an upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04 to 12.04:

https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/system/os/ubuntu-lucid-to-precise

Here’s what failed:
dbus
accountsservice
language-selector-common

SystemError: E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
‘E:Couldn’t configure pre-depend multiarch-support for
libapt-pkg4.12, probably a dependency cycle.’

But so far all sites seem to work as expected.
I just had to change some conf files for mysql and dovecot to restart.

System reports that currently installed release is 12.04.
So there must be only few packages left to update.
If only I could get a successful upgrade log to compare with mine, it would help.

Everything is ok!
For people who might need help, here’s what I did to complete the upgrade:

  • replaced in /etc/apt/sources.list: deb http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/ubuntu/ virtualmin-lucid main by deb http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/ubuntu/ virtualmin-precise main
  • ran:
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo apt-get -f install
    apt-get install bind9 spamassassin spamc procmail libnet-ssleay-perl libpg-perl libdbd-pg-perl libdbd-mysql-perl quota iptables openssl python mailman subversion ruby irb rdoc ri mysql-server mysql-client mysql-common postgresql postgresql-client awstats webalizer dovecot-common dovecot-imapd dovecot-pop3d proftpd webmin usermin webmin-virtual-server libcrypt-ssleay-perl webmin-virtual-server-theme webmin-virtualmin-dav webmin-virtualmin-svn webmin-virtualmin-awstats webmin-virtualmin-mailman webmin-virtualmin-htpasswd clamav-base clamav-daemon clamav clamav-data clamav-freshclam clamav-docs clamav-testfiles libapache2-mod-fcgid scponly apache2 apache2-doc libapache2-svn libsasl2-2 libsasl2-modules sasl2-bin usermin-virtual-server-theme procmail-wrapper php-pear php5 php5-cgi webmin-security-updates libgd2-xpm
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    (Some of these commands are duplicate of each other but you never know)

I then rebooted the system with no problem!

Thank you for your help!

Great, I’m glad it’s working for you, thanks for letting us know how you resolved it!

-Eric