Ubuntu OS Upgrade

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu 20.04
Webmin version 2.001

Hello,
I plan to upgrade one VPS from Ubuntu 20.04 to Ubuntu 22.04, it have MySQL, will the upgrade change it into MariaDB? I guess no, but I just want to confirm it.

I’m not sure I understand what you’re doing, but a dist-upgrade does not change a system from MySQL to MariaDB.

The issue would be if you switch the Virtualmin repos from the /vm/6 repos to the /vm/7 repos. In the virtualmin-*-stack package in the /vm/6 repo, MySQL is the default database for Ubuntu systems (but no other distros). In the virtualmin-*-stack packages in the /vm/7 repo MariaDB is the default database. That said, even if switching repos, I think you’d have to have modified your apt/dpkg configuration for it to force a change. I believe the current stack packages allow either database to satisfy the dependency, and it prefers MariaDB if neither is installed.

Virtualmin at this moment is v. 7.3-1, and I don’t know what’s going to happen if I upgrade the distro Ubuntu version. Yes, I just want to do a distro upgrade.
So if I do that VPS will remains with MYSQL right?

That’s irrelevant.

The repos are determined by which version of the installer you used to install originally. Version 6 installer setup the /vm/6 repos, while the new version 7 installer sets up the /vm/7 repos. Virtualmin (the module) version 7 is in all repos.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.