Ubuntu Hardy Could not connect to bcron-spool HELP

I did a fresh install of Webmin 1.420 on a Ubuntu 8.04 server which went fine. however when i went to install the Virtualmin module via Webmins module install i got and error saying i didn’t have cron jobs installed. so i did a apt-get install bcron-run. Now when i try to install the virtualmin module it throws this error :

Failed to install module from http://download.webmin.com/download/virtualmin/virtual-server-3.58.gpl.wbm.gz : An error was detected in the new Cron configuration :

bcrontab: Fatal: Could not connect to bcron-spool: No such file or directory

3,8,13,18,23,28,33,38,43,48,53,58 * * * * /etc/webmin/virtual-server/collectinfo.pl

any clue what i’m doing wrong? any help would be much appreciated

I have no idea. I can’t imagine how you could possibly have an install of any Linux distribution without cron! :wink:

You might try removing Webmin and using the automated install script for Virtualmin on our download page, which should install all dependencies. (Though I never took into account not having cron by default…as, again, I can’t imagine how one could even install any Linux variant without getting cron.)

So, do this:

Start the cron service (that’s what your current error is…cron may be installed, but it apparently isn’t running). /etc/init.d/cron start

Uninstall Webmin. /etc/webmin/uninstall.sh (or use dpkg, if you installed via the deb package)

Download and run install.sh from http://www.virtualmin.com/download.html

Virtualmin, the module, is super easy to install. But getting all of the services configured correctly can take hours even for an experienced system administrator…and because there are so many steps, you are bound to make mistakes. Just let the script do the work for you. You can then customize it as much as you like–but it’ll get you a known-working base to start with, which is far more than you’ll have just installing the Virtualmin module manually.

hours ? LOL even for me it takes no less then 8-10 hours to fully configure a brand new debian server.

Man I wish it was a lot easier to deploy a new server :frowning:

Thanks for the quick reply Joe. I’m renting a VPS server and perhaps they left out cron on the template. I did successfully install bcron-run however when trying to start the cron service with /etc/init.d/cron start i get a file not found error so i’m assuming the cron did not install properly or i didn’t configure something?