I just installed a Typo3 6.1.1 with the Introduction Package (and nothing more) on an up to date Virtualmin Vhost. Virtualmin is running on an virtual (Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V guest) Ubuntu 12.04 (all packages are up to date) with 12 GB memory and access to the whole CPU (i7-2600) and nearly no load at all.
And I have page load times (and parstimes) of 3 to 5 seconds for pages which are already cached by the Typo3 caching mechanism and 8 seconds and (far) more for pages which aren’t.
I am trying to figure out the problem for the last two days and am now giving up. The project in question will either be not implemented with Typo3 or get completely different hard- and software. Anyhow as I remember that I had similar problems (also not this severe) with a Typo3 4.x on a similar system (dedicated Ubuntu Server with Virtualmin) about 2 years ago and Google had a lot of Typo3 performance tips but none relevant to my problem (as none did help), I guess the problem comes from something very special about my setup and is maybe also Virtualmin related.
So I thought maybe I’m not the only one with this kind of problem among the Virtualmin users and it could be a good idea to start this thread to gather some information (and maybe get a solution someday which could help someone).
So here some things I tried and some other data regarding the Virtualmin installation and the server:
- First of all the system in general runs great (as Virutalmin is great ;-)). There are some Joomla, Drupal, OXID and SMF-systems installed as well as a custom system based on the Zend Framework. All these have load and parse times far below 1 second (some below 0.1 second).
- Switching to the CGI-Wrapper or even mod_php did not change anything.
- All tries to tweak the FCGID performance didn't change anything (among other things I tried what was suggested here: https://www.virtualmin.com/node/15019#comment-65851).
- All tries to tweak the MySQL performance didn't change anything (I tired most of the suggestions from the PMA-Advisor).
- I did a lot of benchmarks I found all over the web which had results of other systems posted as well so I could compare. I did IO-checks, CPU-, MySQL- and PHP-benchmarks. The results were always great and topped most of the posted reference systems.
- There is a failover VM on another dedicated server (which has however the same hardware configuration) which shows the exact same behavior.
- During the request and parsing time (so the 3 to 5 seconds in case of a cached page) htop shows nothing unusual; well php5-cgi has CPU utilization of at most 10%, maybe this is a little odd as it could use much more.
- I set MySQL slow_queries to 0.8 seconds and still there are none.
It doesn't look like there is one function or loop or whatsoever in the Typo3 code which is causing this and where the process would 'hang' but as if the process over all would be very slow. Here is the TypoScript tree with parsing times (in ms) of a cached page:
Script Start 2 Back End user initialized 796 Process ID 1699 Process ID/beUserLogin 1736 Process ID/fetch_the_id initialize/ 1929 Process ID/fetch_the_id domain/ 2430 Process ID/fetch_the_id rootLine/ 2430 Start Template 2436 Get Page from cache 2436 Parse template 2437 Setting the config-array 2647 Setting language and locale 2647 Page generation 2648 php, initialize 2847 php, render 2850 page PAGE 2850 Include libraries 2851 substituteMarkerArrayCached 4568 Include libraries 4571 substituteMarkerArrayCached 4572 Page generation/Local anchor fix, all 4574 Page generation/Tidy, cached 4575 Page generation/Index page 4575 Print Content 4958 4970
- As you see in the TypoScript tree where the time is consumed and as I did a lot of testing any network related problems can be excluded.
That’s all I know so far and maybe this is useful for someone some time. If anybody can add something I could also test and post results as I will not delete the Typo3 Installation in the near future.