Two backup questions

1. Is there any information about deleted files/folders in incremental backups? It is needed to restore exact filesystem structure as it was.
  2. How can I exclude some folder/files from backups?

While I’ve never actually stepped through it, I believe what you need to do is first restore the full backups, and follow that up by restoring the incrementals.

As far as excluding a specific file or directory, I’m not sure that you can do that… the best I can offer is that if there’s something in just one of them you want to get rid of, you could always modify the tar archive outside of Virtualmin to get rid of those files.
-Eric

1. Virtualmin backups uses the incremental feature of GNU tar for incremental backups. I’m gonna guess it deletes files, but I could be wrong.

2. You can’t. You can choose to leave out some features or plugins from the backup. But, it’s not a general purpose backup utility. It is explicitly for backing up Virtualmin virtual servers in a form that can be restored into a new Virtualmin system and be the same as it was on the old system. If you have something in your virtual server home that you don’t want to be backed up, move it out of the virtual server home and grant the virtual server access to it. Anything that Virtualmin doesn’t know about will not be backed up.

If you want a general purpose backup tool, that allows things like exclusions, have a look at the Webmin Filesystem Backup module. The Bacula module is also pretty popular.

>> If you have something in your virtual server home that you don’t want to be backed up, move it out of the virtual server home and grant the virtual server access to it.

It’s a good idea. Thanks!