Trying to Update Modules

Show configuration check report …
Your system has 1.84 GB of memory, which is at or above the Virtualmin recommended minimum of 256 MB.

BIND DNS server is installed, and the system is configured to use it.

Mail server Postfix is installed and configured.

Your Postfix version does not support per-domain outgoing IP addresses.

Apache is installed.

The following PHP versions are available : 5.3.3 (/usr/bin/php-cgi)

PHP-FPM support was not detected : No FPM configuration directory found

Webalizer is installed.

MySQL is installed and running.

Logrotate is installed.

Plugin Analytics Tracking is installed OK.

Plugin Additional content styles is installed OK.

Plugin Additional content styles from OpenWebDesign.org is installed OK.

Plugin Virtualmin Support Links is installed OK.

Using network interface eth0 for virtual IPs.

Default IPv4 address for virtual servers is 65.23.129.163.

Default IP address is set to 65.23.129.163, which matches the detected external address.

Quotas are not enabled on the filesystem / which contains home directories under /home and email files under /home. Quota editing has been disabled.

All commands needed to create and restore backups are installed.

Resource limits are supported and configured correctly.

The selected package management and update systems are installed OK.

… done.
Collecting detailed system information …
… done.

Sending support ticket to virtualmin.com
… failed with HTTP error : HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found

THIS IS THE UPDATE DETAILS…

Update Packages
Building complete list of updates …

Now updating httpd mod_ssl usermin webmin …
Installing package(s) with command /usr/bin/yum -y install httpd.i686 mod_ssl.i686 usermin.noarch webmin.noarch …
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Setting up Install Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

No packages were installed. Check the messages above for the cause of the error.

4 updates to Virtualmin packages are available. Use the Software Package Updates module to install them selectively.
Package Description Version
httpd Apache HTTP Server 2.2.15-60.el6.4.vm
mod_ssl SSL/TLS module for the Apache HTTP Server 2.2.15-60.el6.4.vm
usermin A web-based user account administration interface 1.720-1
webmin A web-based administration interface for Unix systems. 1.851-1

I HOPE YOU CAN HELP - I WANT TO GET EVERYTHING UPDATED.

I THINK MY MYSQL AND PHP ARE ALSO OLD AND I WANT TO GET THEM UP TO LATEST STABLE VERSIONS
SO THAT WILL BE PHP 7.?

ALSO I NEED TO GET MY BACKUPS WORKING PROPERLY.

THANKS
DAVID

Hi David,

For future issues, I recommend you open support tickets for each of your issues (in the issue tracker for Pro users: https://www.virtualmin.com/project/issues ) as that will allow us to track when the issues have been resolved.

The first problem I see is that your networking isn’t working; maybe a temporary issue, but our software repos at software.virtualmin.com are working, and I’m able to fetch files from the relevant repositories for your system.

So, all Virtualmin-provided updates won’t until you get the system able to reach software.virtualmin.com. Can you try pinging the server from your system:

# ping software.virtualmin.com

It looks like your system might have outdated DNS results…software.virtualmin.com should resolve to one of 47.88.59.40 or 163.172.162.254 (today, though those addresses may change periodically).

For a new version of PHP, you’ll need to enable the SCL repository, as CentOS/RHEL 6 does not offer newer PHP versions. Virtualmin will support newer versions if they are enabled.

How you enable SCL depends on whether you are running CentOS or RHEL. I can’t actually be sure from your repo, so let me know what distro you have there, and I’ll get back to you with instructions.

Also, we don’t recommend changing MySQL version on a production system. Unless you have a very good reason to do otherwise, running the most recent update provided by your OS vendor is the best choice. You should make sure your OS updates are working correctly (since Virtualmin updates are not, it may indicate you need to fix your DNS configuration on the server). Upgrading MySQL requires backing it up, running an upgrade process, and testing to be sure the upgrade was successful. It’s usually safe to do, but it’s not worth the hassle and risk if you don’t have to. RHEL/CentOS backport security fixes for the entire life of the release, so as long as you have the latest update available from your distribution vendor, you have current security fixes in the package you’re using. Upgrading would only be to get new features, and only if you really need them.

For backups, we’ll need specific details about what isn’t working. If you open a ticket with your question about backups, we’ll be able to sort that out.