Trying to setup Google Apps but no success

I’ve followed the instructions from the thread VPS + Virtualmin + Google Apps: Mail, but now, my domains can’t receive mail (that is generated locally) anywhere, not into my machine and not into google apps mail.

How can you configure the mails to be sent to google apps mail?

I can send mail to other domains, e.g. if I do:

echo "test" | mail -s "test" user@gmail.com

It’s working, but if I do:

echo "test" | mail -s "test" user@mydomain.com

I can’t see it anywhere…

Howdy,

You may want to take a peek at your email logs to see where the email is going.

To do that, you can look in either /var/log/maillog, or /var/log/mail.log, depending on your distribution.

-Eric

I’m on CentOS.

I can find these lines:

... postfix/smtp[15451]: 7695A418C93: to=, relay=none, delay=0.03, delays=0.02/0.01/0/0, dsn=5.4.6, status=bounced (mail for mydomain.com loops back to myself)
... postfix/cleanup[15449]: 7E269418C94: message-id=<20110701160738.7E269418C94@ns1.my-vps.com>
... postfix/qmgr[15041]: 7E269418C94: from=<>, size=2109, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
... postfix/bounce[15453]: 7695A418C93: sender non-delivery notification: 7E269418C94
... postfix/qmgr[15041]: 7695A418C93: removed
... postfix/local[15454]: 7E269418C94: to=, relay=local, delay=0.04, delays=0/0.01/0/0.03, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail-wrapper -o -a $DOMAIN -d $LOGNAME)
... postfix/qmgr[15041]: 7E269418C94: removed

But why does it loops back after I’ve disabled mails for that domain as described in the mentioned thread?

That can happen if Mail for Domain is disabled, but if there are DNS entries instructing Postfix to deliver the email locally.

If you have your DNS for that domain hosted elsewhere, and your server isn’t acting as a nameserver for that domain – you’d want to disable the “DNS Domain” feature.

If DNS is enabled on your server, Postfix will consult with it about where to deliver those emails.

Alternatively, if you’re hoping to host DNS on your server – you may just need to update the DNS records for your domain to point to your Gmail account.

You can update the DNS records by going into Server Configuration -> DNS records. In particular, you’d want to verify the Mail Server / MX records.

-Eric

Thanks a lot it’s working now, I think I have to make my decision on which DNS service to use and how to configure everything.

dvb,

I know this is an old thread, but what did you do to fix this? I am not able to receive email just as you and have no idea how to get this working properly.

Sorry for my late response, as Eric (andreycheck) said before:

You may want to take a peek at your email logs to see where the email is going.
To do that, you can look in either /var/log/maillog,
or /var/log/mail.log, depending on your distribution.

If you have your DNS for that domain hosted elsewhere,
and your server isn't acting as a nameserver for that domain -
you'd want to disable the "DNS Domain" feature