Thick or Thin provisioning?

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 22.04.4
Webmin version 2.111
Usermin version 2.010
Virtualmin version 7.10.0
Theme version 21.10
Package updates 3 package updates are available

Does Virtualmin allow thick provisioning somewhere or is it all thin provisioning and left to the admin of the server to judge how much space he has left?

I do not have Pro, so perhaps it is in there?

Tar

That’s more of a virtual machine term.

But, Virtualmin only supports hard or soft (advisory) quotas. It doesn’t try to figure out what to do with an oversold system.

Pro has some additional resources limit features, but they aren’t as useful I’d like them to be. They use the old limits.conf, which is difficult to use and hard to reason about and kinda hard to make apply usefully to “users”, since it’s about process limits. Someday we’ll probably implement cgroups-based limits, but it’s a pretty big project, and I don’t think Jamie has spent any time on it.

What is your real question? What do you want to achieve?

Maybe you could add this as a Pro feature where Virtualmin will not allow you to add more accounts on to a server than it can handle based on disk quota. You could also add an extra option to specify reserved space for things like backups.

This option could be toggled on/off.

Is that on the assumption that all clients will use all their quota?

Most services oversell based on the reasoning that not all clients will use all their (whatever) at any one time.

Look at one of my servers. I allow clients 10Gb per domain. I have 76 domains on that server yet only 18 are using more than 1Gb.

Of those 18, 2 use most for email while the rest use most for their web site.

I can’t really see how you could manage that by putting numbers in to a form.

If all 76 used their 19Gb I would need 760Gb plus overhead yet this is working fine on a 100Gb server.

• not all clients do what you expected
  • sometimes software logging gets out of controls and quickly fills up an account.
  • virus can start downloading and installing stuff. Once I found (not on my server) a BitTorrent server running.
  • fixed amounts allow you to plan correctly
  • This option is not for everyone, but definitely has it’s place

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.