symbolic link permissions error

I’ve started getting an error screen on the VM Pro system status page, two of them actually, the first says there’s a symbolic link permissions error that could affect security, accompanied by a “fix” button with warning The second talks about PHP permissions with mod_php, again with a fix button and warning. Is this on the up and up?

Dave

Howdy,

Yup, those issues are detected by Virtualmin version 3.97. I’d recommend performing the fixes it mentions :slight_smile:

-Eric

once you implement those fixes for the security risks, what do you do to fix your sites?

Hard to say if you don’t indicate the problem you would be facing :slight_smile:

But for example Virtualmin replaced symlinks by local copies to fix a problem in their scripts which used symlinks before.

In theory though, there shouldn’t be any problems with the sites afterwards.

Folks with non-typical configurations have occasionally seen issues, but by and large, it’s worked without problems for most people.

We’ve seen some people using the phpMyAdmin OS package have problems with that app. You could solve that by switching to mod_php for the domain you want to access it from.

Or, our suggestion would be to just use the Virtualmin Install Script for phpMyAdmin.

If you have any problems though, feel free to post them and we can assist in troubleshooting.

-Eric

Hi,

I did the update and clicked “Fix Issue” for the symbolic link. Now I tried to access my site and I get the error “500 internal server error”

Can you please suggest how to fix this or how at least I can reverse this action because only one account will be using this server?

Howdy,

Can you post what error shows up in your Apache logs?

That’s in $HOME/logs/error_log.

-Eric

Hi ,

thank you for your reply…i fixed the issue…i had to remove some text from .htaccess - index option all .

yes, i used all of the default settings for virtualmin, however when i installed it, it was done through the install script found on the webmin site.

I only hesitate in using the fix button, because i used the fix button for the mod_php, and although i checked through all the sites residing on the server(total of 8) it still said there was 1 site that needed to be fixed. After running the fix, it did not identify which files had been changed so I don’t even know what exactly it fixed because once again i checked all sites and they were already using FCGI.

Help! After updating to 3.97, my site is no longer loading. It is a magento site.

I believe it has to do with the symlinks problem experienced above… how can I restore symlinks to be followed like before?

Thanks

Howdy,

Whatever issue you’re seeing should be easy to fix… just let us know what error you’re seeing in the Apache error log, located in $HOME/logs/error_log, and then we’ll help you get that straightened up.

-Eric