Subdomain or subservers and SSL

Hello,

We have been using cPanel. now we want to use Virtualmin. we have a server that has 5 IP addresses. What we want to do is to have 5 websites along with innumerable subdomains. i have seen from your forums that Virtualmin ppl dont like subdomains.

we dont have any particular preference to it either however we want to use an SSL cert on example.com and also on crm.example.com and payroll.example.com.

If i use a subserver in the way it is described in these forums i will lose 3 IP addresses in creating the above SSL sites.

i am sure that there is a way to use one SSL for example.com, crm.example.com and payroll.example.com. however if someone can please guide us we would be grateful. Thank you

|/

i have seen from your forums that Virtualmin ppl dont like subdomains.

We don’t like sub-domain accounts. We don’t care what you name your virtual servers and sub-servers. This is why we don’t like sub-domain accounts…people think they mean two different things (a domain named sub.domain.tld and a special type of account for a limited use domain that must be named sub.domain.tld).

If i use a subserver in the way it is described in these forums i will lose 3 IP addresses in creating the above SSL sites.

This is a wholly orthogonal question to what account type you use. SSL traditionally requires an IP per SSL name (though wildcard certificates allow sub-domain names to share a single certificate–and nothing in Virtualmin stands in your way of doing that; Virtualmin supports wildcard SSL certificates). Whether you put them on a subserver or a subdomain account would be completely and utterly irrelevant.

Virtualmin also supports UCC certificates, which are simply a certificate file with many certificates for many domains. This allows one IP to serve many SSL sites…though this is not supported by all browsers, and I’m not wholly confident of it’s authenticity assurances. This is implemented similarly to wildcard certificates, in that one certificate file is served out for many different domains and it’s up to the browser to decide whether that certificate matches the website.

You’re trying to treat two completely different questions as being related, and it’s just going to confuse you. SSL has nothing to do with subservers or subdomains.

SSL has no relation to subdomain or subserver account types. It’s nonsensical to try to make them have any relation or importance. We discourage subdomain accounts because they are confusingly named, and they are merely limited versions of subservers with a weird directory layout. They are not “better” in any way, and they provide no additional capabilities (they provide less).

The subdomain account type was a horrible idea that I regret ever allowing to be implemented in Virtualmin. We did it for a handful of loud cPanel users who wanted Virtualmin to behave just like cPanel. If you use subdomains and ask questions about them, I’m just going to yell at you.

In short: Sub-domains are not a solution to your problem, and have nothing to do with your problem. If you can’t figure out how to use UCC or wildcard certificates, ask about that, not about how to use a deprecated account type that won’t solve your problem. (Where did you get the idea that sub-domains were a solution to your problem? I’d like to make sure any such ideas in our wiki or forums are corrected.)

Damn! Joe's passionate in his hatred of subdomains :)

Yeah, I get a little grouchy sometimes. When I post before I’m caffeinated it’s usually trouble. :wink:

However if the gurus here can tell me how to create payroll.example.com and have it use the same IP 192.168.1.1 we would be indebted to them. Is it even possible to do that?

Of course. Assuming you have a wildcard certificate or a UCC certificate. If you have neither of those, then you’re doing it wrong, and you can’t put more than one SSL host on a single IP. :wink:

Just create a sub-server on the same shared IP, and enable SSL. Virtualmin will warn you about the shared IP thing, and the situation with the certificate, and such, and you’ll say, “I know what I’m doing, do it anyway.” (Not actually…but that’s the gist of it. I don’t remember the exact message.)

you won’t loose 3 IP’s.

the documentation says this:

Creating a "Sub-domain"

cPanel has a type of domain account called a â

Damn! Joe’s passionate in his hatred of subdomains :slight_smile:

As i mentioned i dont care about subdomains either. All i want is to have 2 domains such as

example.com
payroll.example.com

We have a server with 5 IP addresses.

i have created a domain example.com. Now since example.com needs an SSL we have allocated one IP to it say 192.168.1.1

However if the gurus here can tell me how to create payroll.example.com and have it use the same IP 192.168.1.1 we would be indebted to them. Is it even possible to do that? Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

|/

Damn! Joe’s passionate in his hatred of subdomains :slight_smile:

As i mentioned i dont care about subdomains either. All i want is to have 2 domains such as

example.com
payroll.example.com

We have a server with 5 IP addresses.

i have created a domain example.com. Now since example.com needs an SSL we have allocated one IP to it say 192.168.1.1

However if the gurus here can tell me how to create payroll.example.com and have it use the same IP 192.168.1.1 we would be indebted to them. Is it even possible to do that? Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

|/

Thanks Joe :slight_smile:

The message reads The following potention problems were detected with the modification of this virtual server :

SSL cannot be enabled for more than one domain on the IP address ... unless a virtual IP interface or private port is enabled, or the certificate can be used for this domain. The current certificate is only valid for : domainname.com, and it is being used by domainname.com.

Are you sure you want to continue?