Sub-server using non-default IP address

I am using Virtualmin GPL

I have server with IP address 10.10.10.1

I have a virtual server for domain xyz.com with a non-default server IP 10.10.10.28. But when I try to create sub-server alpha.xyz.com the default IP 10.10.10.1 is assigned.

Is it possible to configure either the server template or somewhere so when a sub-server is created the non-default/assigned IP address to the virtual server (xyz.com / 10.10.10.28) is used instead of the system default?

I understand that logic and real life dictates that a sub-servers will not necessarily be hosted on the same machine or IP as the parent virtual server. But, in my cause, purely for automation and time saving purposes I would like the sub-server creation process to be the other way around.

You can choose the IP address to use in the virtual server creation form, under “IP address and forwarding”. I’m not aware that you currently can set a “default” address to be used though.

Thank you Locutus.

I am aware that I can manually chose the IP.

What I am looking for, a sub-server automatically being assigned the IP of the parent virtual server, makes administration easier when you have multiple IPs with multiple domains. It saves steps both prior to creating the the sub-server and after creating the sub-server if one forgets to change the IP for the sub-server.

Joe, that would be a nice feature if it doesn’t already exist.

That’s an interesting idea. I’ll talk to Jamie about that.

-Eric

Thank you Eric.

Jamie, Joe and Eric,

I just saw that you guys implemented something very much close to my suggestion from above. Thank you.

Jamie, Joe and Eric,

I just saw that you guys implemented something very much close to my suggestion from above. Thank you.

Thank you for the suggestion!