Sub Domains - yes I said it. ****SOLVED****

So I have read A LOT in these forums about sub domains v’s sub servers. Each post ending in a subdomains are crap scenario, use sub servers.

After reading them all it is still not clear HOW I create a something.DOMAIN.com and have it redirect to a folder inside the TLD’s public_html?

I do not want new users/accounts/servers.

If my post thus far shows I have no clue what I am talking about, PLEASE describe how I achieve the equivalent BEHAVIOUR of a cpanel sub-domain. I am yet to find an example of that.

The posts I have read so far either end up in sub-domain bashing and “use sub servers” or my favourite That which we shall not named (sub-servers).

PLEASE OH PLEASE somebody put me and all of the other cpanel/tards out of our misery and provide a tutorial? Isnt it enough that we abandoned cPanel and built our own servers, that you can forgive us our sins, and help us with out judgement?

Thank you in advance -
SubDomainFanboy

Ok so for cPanel expats …

A sub-server will create the equivalent of a subdomain but instead of sharing its parent’s public_html it gets its own “home” directory inside the home directory of its parent.

EG: TLD.com’s home is /home/tld/

sub.tld.com gets /home/tld/domains/sub/

This gives it its own logs etc.

Now that I have achieved (I think) what I wanted, I dont understand why this issue has been made so confusing.

Apologies to the regular forum posters for, what I imagine is, a traumatic topic.

To confuse you even more, sub-servers don’t necessarily have to be sub-domains of their parent. :slight_smile:

You can have “firsttld.com” in /home/firsttld and “sub.secondtld.com” in /home/firsttld/domains/sub.

Sub-servers are a different (and more flexible) concept than subdomains. They share home directory and administrative user with their parent, but not necessarily the domain name.

Howdy,

There actually is a document that might help a bit… it’s called “Virtualmin for cPanel Users”. Feel free to peruse this, and see if that helps answer some of your questions:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/system/cpanel