storing backups

How can I make virtualmin store backups? I have it set to not delete old backups, but the new backup overwrites the old one each time. I’m using ssh remote full backups at the moment.

Thanks, I had the strtime on, but assumed it should rename them itself to the current date/time, I didn’t realize I needed to use variables for that. I’m sure this solves my problem completely.

I can’t find this help link you mentioned. I have no help link in the backup configuration page which is what it sounds like you mean, since so many other features have the ? for the help. I also have looked at the documentation and have found only the year, month, date as you described. Can you point me to, or provide a full list so that I can consider naming them such as domain.tld.yymmdd

Argh… The lack of help will be fixed in the next revision. It’s missing in Virtualmin GPL, but shouldn’t be.

The strftime manpage has all of the available variables. There is a System Documentation module in Webmin, or you can hit it from the command line:

man strftime

that’ll do fine, thanks.

Turn on strtime substitution and add a date/time stamp to each backup. Click on the help link for the strtime option for details on what variables are supported and how to use them. Basically, you’d do something like:

/backup/virtualmin-backup/%Y%m%d

Assuming a one-file-per-domain backup format, this would create a new directory each night of the form:

Representing the year, the month, and the numeric day.

Turn on strtime substitution and add a date/time stamp to each backup. Click on the help link for the strtime option for details on what variables are supported and how to use them. Basically, you’d do something like:

Assuming a one-file-per-domain backup format, this would create a new directory each night of the form:

Initially this worked well. However, since i added a subdirectory to it it is failing. I have tried these two options:

/backup/hosted/%b%d%y
and
/backup/hosted/%b%d%y/

Both have the same result of creating the backup of each account to be named Aug0908. This of course overwrites each account backup with the next account that is backed up. In the end, the backup fails because Aug0908 is not a directory, and i am left with the backup of the last account only, and it is named Aug0908. This file can be extracted, but this is not how it worked before and any advice would be appreciated on why it may have changed or the proper settings to accomplish something like this:

/backup/hosted/Aug0908/account1.tar.gz
/backup/hosted/Aug0908/account2.tar.gz
etc