Starting Out!

Hi to everybody,

I´m incursioning in the linux-webmin-virtualmin-hosting-andsoon world just a couples of months ago and i´m full of questions… now the dns stuff makes me sad.

Scenario: I have 2 linux boxes working with webmin-virtualmin and centos 5.5 - One is serving tomcat for a unique customer and the other it´s full equiped with virtualmin and many shared domains (no more than 3 testing domains) all the domains are pointing to my ip (static) with a free dns service (zoneedit) and the domain names are registered with the zoneedit data (all that i´m doing it´s change my ip in the zoneedit if i move to another ip).
These 2 boxes are behind a router in the same lan.
My isp provide me 4 + ip´s if i want to pay for it (less than 16usd/m) and here is my first question…

How i manage more than one public ip if i have a single modem? I´ve already asked my isp but they say that i don´t need extra hardware to make use of the new ips! how then?

2nd Question: How can approach the setup of a full dns system with these 2 boxes (need more?), and make use of it for registrar purposes (ie. ns1.mylittledns.com) ?? i want to avoid the use of dns service of someone else and start moving clients from serious provider to my office (the darkest light of a datacenter).

I´m starting from scratch with all these but, except the tomcat service, i have no production things yet…

I´m guessing that i´m missing something very important here but i lack the necesary knowledge…

Any thoughts? ideas? experiences or articles to read?

Any information can make the difference…

Thanks in advance and ask for clarification if it´s needed.

Kchow!

Howdy!

How i manage more than one public ip if i have a single modem? I´ve already asked my isp but they say that i don´t need extra hardware to make use of the new ips! how then?

Well, that all depends on your hardware :slight_smile:

The key is that you need a router or firewall that supports having multiple public IP addresses. While there’s certainly routers which do support that, there are plenty that do not :slight_smile:

Then, for each public IP address – you’d want to forward requests for that IP to a private IP residing on your internal server.

2nd Question: How can approach the setup of a full dns system with these 2 boxes (need more?), and make use of it for registrar purposes (ie. ns1.mylittledns.com)

Once you have a router forwarding requests for a particular IP to your internal server, that would handle getting DNS requests to your DNS server.

The other component is that you’d need to register your servers with your domain name registrar as “nameservers”. Once you do that, you can then use your servers as nameservers for any domain that you (or your customers) register.

I hope that all helps!

-Eric