SSH backup fails quite regulary

Hi all,
I have 2 VPS with the same operating system, Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS server, where I installed Virtualmin 4.04.gpl.

The first one, server A, contains 10 domains (subserver included), and the occupied space is 5.68 GB
The second one, serverB, contains 15 domains (subserver included), but the occupied space is only 898.67 MB.

Both server have a plenty disk space (150 GB).

I scheduled a backup plan to have the server A backed up on the server B and the server B backed up on the server A. On Monday night I perform a full backup, all others week days I perform an incremental backup.

I perform the backup from server A to B at 7:00 and the backup from server B to A at 9:00.

All domains are mine or I’m the only one administrator, so no other have access to virtualmin console.

The backup from server A to server B (the biggest) works all the time.
The backup from server B to server A (the smallest) usually works only 40% of the time… for example, this week worked 3 times and failed 4 times.

The reason is always:

Uploading archive to SSH server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx …
… upload failed! ssh: connect to host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx port 22: Connection timed out

lost connection

… completed in 1 minutes, 12 seconds

Usually it fails 2/3 domains.

I tried to change the “Maximum concurrent backups” setting from 3 to 1, but nothing changed.

Any ideas?

Could it be a problem related to hardware or network?

Thank you in advance.

Independent from backup size or available HDD space, the error message apparently is “Connection timed out”, which means the destination SSH server did not accept the connection. This should be investigated independently from Virtualmin backups, e.g. with a monitoring software that watches over port 22 availability of the backup destination.

It might well be a networking issue, or a problem with the destination server. The syslog of the destination might help too.

OK, I’ll check this with the provider… thank you very much.

Howdy,

Also, in Webmin -> Others -> System and Server Status, you can configure various monitors there. One thing you could do is send a series of "pings’ every few minutes, to make sure you aren’t seeing any network issues.

-Eric