Spam being sent again from an email account

But I disabled every single server and they kept coming

Well, that should make checking the Apache logs even easier.

It may not be the answer, by the way. It’s just something I’d look at for lack of any better ideas coming to mind.

Richard

Is this the offending account? They are logging in. I believe this would be a system user in /etc/password?

Lots of hits on deleting them via command line. Random one.
www.cyberciti.biz/faq/delete-a-user-account-on-ubuntu-linux/

Yeah that’s the account.

I did not find it in /etc/passwd file. Virtualmin must’ve removed it when I deleted the account. And how would it become a system user in the first place? It was a mail account.

BTW, dovecot logins started failing after deleting the account

Apr 15 21:00:40 primary dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 1 attempts in 7 secs): user=<sales@tooneywheels.in>, method=PLAIN, rip=178.88.160.58, lip=139.162.61.248, session=<nDx+o2H5KN6yWKA6>

these ones kept coming

Apr 15 16:43:40 primary postfix/smtpd[2439029]: DD7C782225: client=ec2-35-87-94-65.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com[35.87.94.65], sasl_method=LOGIN, sasl_username=sales@tooneywheels.in

That’s just how they are created. I don’t know if user creation is logged but that would be worth a check.

I think Postfix needs to create an extra for Roundcube to work. Have you checked under the Postfix alias/virtual domain tabs to make sure it is also gone from there?

Or restart Postfix on the off chance it is cached somehow.

There are only system users.

Mail aliases and Virtual domains do not have that address.

It’s been quiet through the night. The storm has passed it seems. Unfortunately I didn’t learn anything from it. My server is only as secure as it was before.

Is there no log created when php’s mail function is called? I believe its crucial to know when a script requests postfix to send a mail. It should be there.

Depends on how it was called. If via a web request, the web request will be in the access or error log.

If called from the command line (i.e. by a local user, not via some remote exploit), then it is entirely up to the script that calls the function to decide whether to log something (and where).

Every mail sent through Postfix will be logged to the mail log. But, a local user does not have to send through Postfix. If every mail is accounted for in the Postfix log, and if you see an authentication happening and the mail sent as a user, that is your log! I don’t know what else you want to know. You have the user, you have the time, you have their source IP. (I don’t know if that’s what you have, but skimming through the thread, you seem to have identified the user and see them authenticating.)

I think the problem is that you’re misunderstanding what “flushing the queue” does.

When you flush the postfix queue, Postfix immediately attempts to send every message in the queue. It does not throw the mail away! And, since they are not being delivered, they are not being removed from the queue when you perform the flush
they just get resent the next time you issue a flush command or restart Postfix.

If you want to throw away the queue, you have to delete queued messages explicitly, is non-trivial I think (throwing away mail is a drastic step). You probably want to selectively delete all messages from this one user. I don’t have simple answer for how to do that; it’s not something I normally do. Googling returns this seemingly reasonable answer: https://serverfault.com/questions/1047113/how-to-clear-reset-a-postfix-queue

Note that deleting a user does not delete their messages from the queue. Every time you flush, you’re sending them all out again, either until they’re delivered or you stop doing that (they might eventually become permanent failures or something, I don’t know
but ,deleting the user means Postfix has nowhere to send notifications of permanent failures, so you might get some more messy queued up mail, but they’d be local, much less of a problem than sending spam over and over to major providers).

Well I was using the “Clear Queue” option in Webmin not “Flush Queue”. I cleared the queue, the queue showed no messages then. After a few minutes messages would show up.

I don’t know how it kept happening hours after the account itself was deleted.

I also can’t find a resource that can explain postfix logs. Can someone explain this to me?

Apr 15 14:25:08 primary postfix/smtpd[2407914]: connect from ec2-35-89-81-116.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com[35.89.81.116]
Apr 15 14:25:09 primary postfix/smtpd[2407914]: 726CE8216C: client=ec2-35-89-81-116.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com[35.89.81.116], sasl_method=LOGIN, sasl_username=sales@tooneywheels.in
Apr 15 14:25:10 primary postfix/smtpd[2407914]: disconnect from ec2-35-89-81-116.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com[35.89.81.116] ehlo=1 auth=1 mail=1 rcpt=3 data=1 quit=1 commands=8

This is a SASL login from 35.89.81.116 for user sales@tooneywheels.in.

A SASL login would be to send mail via SMTP (retrieving mail via IMAP or POP3 does not authenticate with SASL).

You said you deleted this user. Are you sure about that? This appears to be a successful login. (And, is this a current log, from after you deleted the user?)

I don’t know what to tell you to do, if you’re certain this user is gone. There is no scenario where a user that doesn’t exist can login via SASL. (If this were an open relay, it wouldn’t need to login.)

Have you checked both /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow for this username? (It’s also possible there could be a user sales-tooneywheels.in or similar
usernames with @ in them are problematic for some non-Virtualmin software, so we generally create a second user with some other separator when you’re using usernames with @ in them, and SASL is configured to do some magic with domain names.

This may be completely off

if that is happening look at the email headers in postfix
 find out the account and disable it

then if they are all from sales@tooneywheels.io check the password is not “sales” LOL 

There are files called /etc/passwd- and /etc/shadow- (dash at the end) and they have two lines, both sales@tooneywheels.in and sales-tooneywheels.in. Is this relevant?

etc/passwd and /etc/shadow does not have either

Thats a backup file

what about just sales by itself

Nope. Nothing else with “sales” in it

I had the same problem when I started with VirtualMin. Had to lock down senders and recipients as well as change from standard mail ports.

Add this to /etc/postfix/main.cf - Servers>Postfix Mail Server>Edit Config Files

/etc/postfix/main.cf

Sender restrictions:

smtpd_sender_restrictions =
permit_mynetworks,
reject_non_fqdn_sender,
reject_unknown_sender_domain,
permit

/etc/postfix/main.cf

HELO restrictions:

smtpd_delay_reject = yes
smtpd_helo_required = yes
smtpd_helo_restrictions =
permit_mynetworks,
reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname,
reject_invalid_helo_hostname,
permit

# /etc/postfix/main.cf

Recipient restrictions:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
reject_unauth_pipelining,
reject_non_fqdn_recipient,
reject_unknown_recipient_domain,
permit_mynetworks,
reject_unauth_destination,
check_sender_access
hash:/etc/postfix/sender_access,
reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org,
reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net,
check_policy_service unix:postgrey/socket,
permit

What do you think @Joe, @stefan1959? Do you foresee any side effects of this?

I think you should read and understand the implications of any configuration you find suggested online. The Postfix docs cover all of these options. I will say I do not use a configuration like this. I mostly use a default Virtualmin configuration.

I believe you’re looking in all the wrong places for solutions. You have a user sending spam, or you have a web app that has been exploited and it is sending spam. Why are you fiddling around with minor changes to your Postfix configuration?

1 Like

Well I did use smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_unlisted_sender. It didn’t have any immediate affect. I was thinking maybe postfix is accepting the request from sales@too
 since even though the email doesn’t exist, the domain is valid and hosted on the server.

If I can send emails an id info@example.com and I don’t even have that id on the server (example.com is part of the server), I feel like Virtualmin’s default config is too loose. What do you think?

But they need to authenticate to send, what the email address they use doesn’t really matter.