something is wrong with my network interfaces file

I have virtualmin running happily away on my server. Today for the first time I rebooted the server itself and noticed that almost none of my websites could be reached.

I called the datacenter and the sysadmin said ‘my networking is not starting properly, there is a problem with my interfaces file’.

Basically even though I have dozens of sites on the server, all with their own dedicated ip address, the server itself is only showing 2 used ip’s when it is rebooted.

He was able to get the sites back up, but the problem is not solved. Basically I was told to search google, which I did a lot.

Can anyone help me figure out how to fix this problem myself?

I am running debian 6.0 and have all the latest virtualmin/webmin updates installed.

thanks so much

Howdy,

Well, if it’s indeed a problem with the interface file as your datacenter suggested, we’d probably need to take a look at your /etc/network/interfaces file.

Could you either paste in it’s contents to this thread, or attach it as a file?

-Eric

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2045194/interfaces.txt

Keep in mind, he did something to get the sites back up for now, though I don’t think they will come back up if I reboot again. Not sure if that effects the interfaces file you are seeing now or not.

Hmm… I don’t see anything obviously wrong with your interfaces file. So my two questions would be –

1. What changes did he make to get things working for you?

2. Were there any bootup errors regarding your server’s networking?

-Eric

1. No idea, he seemed rather in a hurry to get off the phone, really wasn’t much help for some reason.
  2. Not sure, is there a log for that which I could check?