Some newbie questions

Hello! I’m new over Virtualmin and Webmin.

I have some newbie questions, I will number the question to make easy to anwser:

1 - I can change without problem the listen port of Webmin and Usermin to anyother? Of course I will open the port on my firewall.

2 - I can install third-party repositories, like RPGForge, Remi and EPEL? And update the packages from there?

3 - I can upgrade my PHP version to the 5.6.9 in Remi repositorie? Or is better to use the Virtualmin PHP version?

4 - The virtualmin came with MySQL 5.1.x, I will install MariaDB 10.x. I should first upgrade the MySQL 5.1.x to MariaDB 5.x and then upgrade the MariaDB 5.x to MariaDB 10.x, right? Because I have tried to upgrade directly and get too many errors with conflicts with mysql-libs.

5 - I can install Nginx for my webserver in place of Apache, right? Is there any great tutorial for that?

6 - The usermin interface is just for my clients see the Webmail or is possible to able then to File Manager too?

Thanks for the atention.

1 - I can change without problem the listen port of Webmin and Usermin to anyother? Of course I will open the port on my firewall.

Sure, you can set that in Webmin -> Webmin Configuration -> Ports and Addresses.

2 - I can install third-party repositories, like RPGForge, Remi and EPEL? And update the packages from there?

You can, though we recommend against it. Packages from third party repositories can cause a lot of problems.

If you require a package, I’d recommend installing it first onto a test server.

Of all third party repositories, EPEL tends to work the best.

3 - I can upgrade my PHP version to the 5.6.9 in Remi repositorie? Or is better to use the Virtualmin PHP version?

I would recommend against that – but if you need a newer PHP version than you get in your distribution, just make sure you do plenty of testing with it on a test server prior to doing that on your live server.

4 - The virtualmin came with MySQL 5.1.x, I will install MariaDB 10.x. I should first upgrade the MySQL 5.1.x to MariaDB 5.x and then upgrade the MariaDB 5.x to MariaDB 10.x, right? Because I have tried to upgrade directly and get too many errors with conflicts with mysql-libs.

Virtualmin uses the software versions that come with your distro. Our recommendation is to use a distro that comes with newer package versions.

5 - I can install Nginx for my webserver in place of Apache, right? Is there any great tutorial for that?

Sure, there is information here on that:

https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/web/nginx

6 - The usermin interface is just for my clients see the Webmail or is possible to able then to File Manager too?

Usermin is primarily an email client. However, if you need a Filemanager, Webmin provides one of those.

-Eric

But for stable web server I will need to keep just the default repositories and versions provided by Virtualmin and my Distro, right?

Because of that I will request to my server to reinstall my server with CentOS 7.x that already came with MariaDB, right? Because I need want to use MariaDB, for performance.

About the Nginx soliction, I got it. But is there another tutorial for PHP-FPM and FastCGI with Nginx?