Some newbie questions on Email only server using Virtualmin

Im currently testing my new config in a Centos 6.2 32bit image under Virtualbox. A couple of questions since this is a major server move (for me a bit overwhelming anyway, simple for others) and Im double guessing myself on some basic issues. Please excuse the wording:

1 - Is using Virtualmin as a Email Server only setup overkill. All I want to accomplish is…

Centos 6.2 x64
One domain. mail.myvirtualrocks.com (example)
Integrated…
Postfix
Spamassassin
Clamav
Dovecot for Imap, pop3
Autoresponder
Roundcube
50-100 users
Control Panel

2 - Virtualmin stores users using standard unix files. Am I shorting myself out by not using mysql based method?

3 - i want to name my centos box mail.myvirtualrocks.com and then create the first (and only domain) mail.myvirtualrocks.com. Will this cause a problem in the future?

Ive tested iredmail and ispconfig, but favor Virtualmin because of my webmin experience (always great). I know these may be mostly preferences but Im at a quandary on how to proceed. If there is a recommended book on virtualmin or wiki please let me know. So far all I am learning is from trial/error on my part and the forums (which are great). Any opinions would be welcome.

Howdy,

You can certainly use Virtualmin for an email-only setup. It may configure some things for you that you don’t need, such as Apache or MySQL – that’s no problem though, you can simply disable those services.

I think you’d be making your life simpler by keeping your users in the default UNIX files. But that all depends on what you’re looking to get out of doing that.

I wouldn’t generally recommend making a Virtual Server with a name that’s the hostname. So if you want “mail.myvirtualrocks.com” as a Virtual Server, I would suggest using a different hostname.

-Eric

In addition to what Eric said: Since you mentioned “Roundcube”, i.e. webmail, you will implicitly also need an Apache and MySQL to be configured. Virtualmin does that nicely for you, so one more reason to use it. :slight_smile:

As Eric said, keep users in standard Linux files. Except you have TONS of users (like thousands), the Linux way with passwd files is all okay, supported, and works well.

It’s basically possible to manage the domain and hostname of the server itself through Virtualmin, it can lead to mess-ups if you don’t know exactly what you’re doing. Best is to have an “administrative domain” for your server hostname, separate from any Virtualmin domains, either externally resolvable, or managed through Webmin directly (like I’m doing).