SOLVED: Webmin Won't start after updates


  • UPDATE: The below issue was solved when I ran



It had been a while since I installed any patches, so I decided to 'intall all packages" tonight. The machine seemed to freeze when it was installing the webmin patch, so I stupidly rebooted. It seems there was also an error while installing perl updates, if I remember correctly.

Now, webmin does not start at bootup.

If I “/etc/init.d/webmin status” It says “webmin is stopped”. If I “/etc/init.d/webmin start”, it gives me no feedback but Webmin does not startup.

If I “/etc/init.d/webmin restart” I get
Stopping Webmin server in /usr/libexec/webmin
cat: /var/webmin/ No such file or directory
kill: usage: kill [-s sigspec | -n signum | -sigspec] pid | jobspec … or kill -l [sigspec]
/etc/init.d/webmin: line 62: /etc/webmin/start: Permission denied

I assume its just “noise” because webmin is not running.

nano /var/webmin/miniserv.error does have the following last entries:
scheduled_collect_system_info : Already running
scheduled_collect_system_info : Already running
Failed to initialize SSL connection
Failed to initialize SSL connection
[19/Jan/2013:00:59:05 -0700] [] Bad Request : This web server is running in SSL mode. Try the URL http$
[19/Jan/2013:00:59:05 -0700] [] Bad Request : This web server is running in SSL mode. Try the URL

I think this may be a problem with PERL, but, I’m not sure.

If I try to visit the previously working webmin page in a web browser, I get
Error 102 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED): The server refused the connection.

Any ideas?



I’m glad you were able to get that working, thanks for letting us know how you did it!

Tony, I have the same issue!
What do you mean you ran Is this an existing file or did you download the webmin installer and again?
Did you uninstall webmin first? I’ve read this wreaks havoc on Virtualmin so I’m reluctant to go there…

Here is a cryptic solution I tried but I’m not sure if it is what got things running again for me or not

openssl genrsa -des3 -out webmin.key 1024
openssl rsa -in webmin.key -out webmin.pem
openssl req -new -key webmin.key -out webmin.csr
openssl x509 -req -days 365 -in webmin.csr -signkey webmin.key -out webmin.crt
cat webmin.crt >> webmin.pem
cp webmin.pem /etc/webmin/miniserv.pem
/etc/init.d/webmin restart

For all I know, that magic incantation messed up my configuration even further.

Another thing that happened in my case was the mysterious renaming of the ssl key files under /etc/webmin in such a way that they no longer matched the specs in /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf.