[SOLVED] Postfix returning "Relay access denied" error.

-r option isn’t there, why? Should it be?

root 5568 0.0 0.1 53044 900 ? Ss 13:25 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam -c -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -n 5 root 5595 0.0 0.1 53044 632 ? S 13:25 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam -c -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -n 5 root 5597 0.0 0.1 53044 512 ? S 13:25 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam -c -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -n 5 root 5598 0.0 0.1 53044 512 ? S 13:25 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam -c -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -n 5 root 5599 0.0 0.1 53044 512 ? S 13:25 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam -c -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -n 5 root 10760 0.0 0.1 5612 672 pts/0 D+ 14:38 0:00 grep saslauthd

I read that -r does this:

Combine the realm with the login before passing to authentication mechanism Ex. login: "foo" realm: "bar" will get passed as login: "foo@bar" The realm name is passed untouched.

I thought I was passing the login together with the @domain.tld part, or is that ignored? Should I try with -r? (I can’t right now, I’m having some trouble cleaning up bad emails on queue, 'cause of the open relay, but the users are happy and only in about 4hours can I make some more tests)

Well, I’m a little puzzled, as your post above suggests -r should be there, based on the OPTIONS line in /etc/default/saslauthd:

OPTIONS="-c -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r"

However, in that file, I’d just double-check that the -r option is being passed in.

Using users with an “@” in their name requires some workarounds (it’s not the default, and that’s all explained in the help text for the “Format for usernames that include domain” Option where you’d set that in the Server Templates).

One of the workarounds is that you have to make sure the -r parameter is being passed into saslauthd.

-Eric

Ok, I read that Help but didn’t see that in there, maybe I didn’t pay that much attention to it. I mostly saw variables.

Anyway, I put the -r in there (it was missing) and later on I’ll check if that fixes it.

But, for what you’re telling me, it should work fine. I’ll update you.

I have another topic I’m having trouble with, can you see private topics? If not, I can make it public.

Ok, I read that Help but didn’t see that in there, maybe I didn’t pay that much attention to it. I mostly saw variables.

No worries, there’s a ton of things to have to remember when getting a new server setup :slight_smile: I was only suggesting that if you wanted a deeper explanation, you could peek in there.

Hrm, but upon closer inspection, it doesn’t actually mention -r in there anymore.

I suspect Jamie since set it up to automatically add that in (as your line above suggests it once was), but I think something may have gone awry in all this troubleshooting :slight_smile:

Anyhow, that’s neither here nor there – with the -r, it should do the trick for you :slight_smile:

I have another topic I’m having trouble with, can you see private topics? If not, I can make it public.

Yup! I saw it… there’s a bazillion forum posts and bug tracker issues this morning that I’m trying to get caught up on, but I’ll work my way over to that here shortly :slight_smile:

Thanks!

-Eric

Seems this is solved.

The emails are looking like they’re taking too much time to get out of the queue, but it doesn’t seem related to the topic, so I’m marking this as solved if tomorrow brings no problems :slight_smile: