[SOLVED] OMG please help

ok, so… I’ve restarted postfix, i tried sending email out which works… and i can recive email from out (according to mail.log) and i can log into usermin to send email but i cant view the inbox

An error occurred listing mail in this folder : Failed to connect to localhost:143 : Connection refused

ok, so… I’ve restarted postfix, i tried sending email out which works… and i can recive email from out (according to mail.log) and i can log into usermin to send emal

Okay, that’s a good start!

An error occurred listing mail in this folder : Failed to connect to localhost:143 : Connection refused

Hmm, that’s an odd one, as it makes it sound as if Dovecot may not be running at the moment.

If you type this, what output do you get:

netstat -an | grep :143

Also, what do you see what typing this:

ps auxw | grep dovecot

Thanks,

-Eric

typing in
netstat -an | grep :143
i get nothing

typing in second command
ps auxw | grep dovecot

root 12956 0.0 0.0 2072 592 ? Ss 13:11 0:00 /usr/sbin/dovecot
root 12957 0.0 0.2 9008 2144 ? S 13:11 0:00 dovecot-auth
1000 14266 0.0 0.0 3008 776 pts/0 R+ 13:46 0:00 grep dovecot

Okay, it looks like something is indeed awry with Dovecot – so we’ll need to get that all fixed up!

It didn’t look like there were any errors in your mail.log file when it started up, so we may need to look at the Dovecot config file.

Can you attach the /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf file to this thread?

Also, do you have a file in /etc/default/dovecot? I don’t, but if you do, go ahead and post that as well.

Thanks,

-Eric

here is the dovecot.conf
no files in /etc/default/dovecot

Also i was going through forum and it seems you have helped someone with the same problem some time ago. they solved the problem by turning on IMAP.
http://www.virtualmin.com/node/9758
is it a possibility that IMAP is turned off? and how do i check if its on?

Aha! Yeah, the first non-commented line of your dovecot.conf file reads:

protocols = none

So that won’t work at all, it essentially tells Dovecot not to do anything :slight_smile:

Change that line to read:

protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s

Then restart Dovecot: /etc/init.d/dovecot restart

I LOVE YOU

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!

Thanks for the update – I’m glad to hear it’s working for you now :slight_smile:

Have a good one!

-Eric

Hey dont you just love it when things go well… one more happy cust. Hows everything going around here? good i hope… just getting back in the Sceen… talk at you another time…
John