[SOLVED] Default login not working for any accounts.

So after a couple hours of trying different accounts and passwords, getting locked out over and over, and googling, I still cannot get the login to work for the first time. I read that it should be the main user account of the server, but it is not working. I even changed my password hoping that that would somehow work but it hasnt. Ive searched these forums and google for, like I said, a couple hours to no avail.

There is one other user on my server if that matters.
OS is ubuntu 10.04 desktop.

Yeah, it would be either the root user – or a user with “sudo” rights. On Ubuntu, it’s generally the user that’s setup during the installation process.

If that’s not working, you may want to take a peek at /var/webmin/miniserv.error to see if there’s any error messages being logged in there.

-Eric

Hmmm well it doesnt look good…

[04/Apr/2010:22:20:45 -0700] miniserv.pl started
[04/Apr/2010:22:20:45 -0700] Perl module Authen::PAM needed for PAM is not installed : Can't locate Authen/PAM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /home/brandon/Desktop/webmin-1.510 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.0 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at (eval 10) line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 10) line 1.

I have no idea… Looks af it wants PAM, whatever that is.

That’s not a problem, that’s just a notice – if PAM isn’t there, it falls back to using the password file for handling logins.

Do you notice any other messages in there as you attempt to log in?

One other thing you may want to try is to restart Webmin, to make sure it’s not blocking your IP address… you can do that by running “/etc/init.d/webmin restart” on the command line.

-Eric

Nope, the log is that message over and over.

The server has been rebooted completely to resolve something else after this was isntalled and failing for a bit, so webmin has been restarted.

And you’re able to log in as this particular user over SSH, and run sudo commands?

Another thing to look at may be to review /var/log/auth.log, and see if the messages in there offered any insight.

-Eric

Sure am.

Feb 27 08:00:01 Scratchy CRON[32452]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user smmsp by (uid=0)
Feb 27 08:00:01 Scratchy CRON[32452]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user smmsp
Feb 27 08:09:01 Scratchy CRON[307]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Feb 27 08:09:01 Scratchy CRON[307]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
Feb 27 08:11:01 Scratchy CRON[387]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Feb 27 08:11:55 Scratchy CRON[387]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
Feb 27 08:17:01 Scratchy CRON[605]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
Feb 27 08:17:01 Scratchy CRON[605]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
...snip...

that goes on for this entire time D:

That’s all pretty unusual… typically, you just login as root or a user with sudo rights, and it allows you in without a problem :slight_smile:

I have two thoughts –

One, what does your /etc/sudoers file look like? There may be something about that which prevents it from recognizing that your user has sudo rights.

Two, you could always try setting a password on your root account, and see if it then allows you to log in.

-Eric

That could be the problem… My account is not listed in there yet I can still use sudo.

# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

Defaults	env_reset

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root	ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to not need a password
# (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
# it further down)
# %sudo ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

And I set a password last night and it did not work either.

Well I uninstalled it last night because it broke the virtual hosts. Just reinstalled it now so I could try and figure it out and now it works. Go figure. Thanks for all the help!

Well, if it’s not allowing you to login as root, even if root has a password set, it’s beginning to sound like something else is wrong :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard of it not allowing root to login. You may want to try that again though, just in case your IP address was being blocked at that particular time.

I suspect your user is part of the admin group, which is what the last line of your sudoers file gives permissions to… even so, you may want to try explicitly adding your user to that file, just in case it helps. You could do that by adding a line such as this:

YOUR_USERNAME ALL=(ALL) ALL

Im not sure, I can log in now though! I got it working smoothly now so I won’t touch anything. I’ll keep that in mind for any future issues. Thanks again for the great help!