SMTP error after new added server with IP

Hi, since I added a new server (with its own IP) I cannot send emails anymore:

“Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to Outgoing server (SMTP) mail.consultd.de failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again.” - Thunderbird

This happens for the new server, but also for “older” ones

SYSTEM INFORMATION
CentOS 7.9 REQUIRED
Virtualmin version 6.17 REQUIRED

I did not touch the SMTP settings, only connected TB to the new account…

any idea?

Thx
Dan

We need to see the relevant mail log entries. The client has no useful information.

is this what we need?

Apr 21 17:18:49 web dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<xy@XXX.de>, method=PLAIN, rip=XX.XX..100.61, lip=xy.xy.139.71, mpid=11574, TLS, session=<3KR5oCvdsKAfEmQ9>
Apr 21 17:18:49 web dovecot: imap(xx@xx.de): Connection closed (UID FETCH finished 0.106 secs ago) in=2206 out=17542
Apr 21 17:18:50 web dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<xx@xx.de>, method=PLAIN, rip=xy.xy.100.61, lip=xy.xy.139.71, mpid=11576, TLS, session=<PxiIoCvdtKAfEmQ9>
Apr 21 17:18:50 web dovecot: imap(xx@xx.de): Connection closed (UID FETCH finished 0.136 secs ago) in=1643 out=14436
Apr 21 17:19:02 web dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts in 0 secs): user=<>, rip=xy.xy.100.61, lip=xy.xy.139.71, TLS: SSL_read() failed: error:14094412:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad certificate: SSL alert number 42, session=<goZEoSvd8skfEmQ9>
Apr 21 17:19:41 web dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts in 1 secs): user=<>, rip=xy.xy.100.61, lip=xy.xy.139.71, TLS: SSL_read() failed: error:14094412:SSL routines:ssl3_read_bytes:sslv3 alert bad certificate: SSL alert number 42, session=<vRWSoyvdCMofEmQ9>

Thx Dan

I don’t see any SMTP connections there. I see failed IMAP connections, which is unrelated to sending mail.

But, the SSL cert error makes me think maybe you’re trying to connect using a different domain name that the one for which Postfix and Dovecot have a configured SSL cert. Your version of Postfix will not support multiple domain certificates…you have to pick one domain to be your “mail server” domain for clients to connect to (this has nothing to do with the to/from addresses on mail sent to or from your server, just means clients can’t try to connect to example.tld if Postfix has a cert for not-example.tld).

HI Joe, thank you!

To understand: I got me a 2nd IP to make a 2nd domain SPAM-proof, bec I have several domains on server and some of them are needed for business… since so far I could only make one domain fully comply to the actual level of “certifcate sender”, I got me a second IP … do I understand you correctly, that a second IP will not help me at all? That in VM I cannot, even with a second IP, certify another business account…all I can do is ONE business domain email wise?

I also now see this in log
Apr 22 15:37:39 web postfix/postqueue[25207]: warning: Mail system is down – accessing queue directly

trying to restart via webmin dashboard, but it does not seem to start

Thx
Dan

HI, thank you!

To understand: I got me a 2nd IP to make a 2nd domain SPAM-proof, bec I have several domains on server and some of them are needed for business - something similar I am facing :grin:

With another IP you can run another instance of the necessary Postfix services (you mostly set this up in /etc/postfix/master.cf). I don’t think Virtualmin has any support for managing multiple Postfix instances, it’s such an unusual case and adds complexity to an already confusing element of the system…but, it does support Postfix versions that support multiple certificates via SNI (though this is quite new and not well-tested in the wild).

1 Like

thx Joe… my admin could solve the issue now, thx for the help

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.