site_blackhole & /dev/null

First, thanks for all the help and sorry about all the questions. I am almost done with them all and in the future when I can I will help others.

When I used to use ensim I would basically set up my aliases so that all mail other than specified mailbozes and aliases would got to never never land

e.g.

site_blackhole /dev/null

I am not sure if that was an Ensim thing or a Linux/sendmail thing

So my question is, how do I set WM up so that all mail for a domain that is not specified as a user mailbox or alias gets essentially deleted with no action?

I don’t want them to bounce nor get saved anywhere.

Oh and this is due to spam…

Thanks.

Hey jmunjr,

Yes, I believe you’d create an alias using the Postfix module that points “devnull” to /dev/null, which would look like this in the aliases file:

devnull: /dev/null

And then create a catchall that forwards to the devnull alias using the Mail Aliases page for each virtual server that you’d like to have this blackhole catchall (a ctachall alias is created by selecting “All mailboxes” in the Name field on the alias creation page).

Thanks for the help.

I had done something similar but went ahead with your method.

I did this:
Webmin - Servers - Postfix Mail Server - Mail Aliases - Create a new alias
address: devnull
enabled: yes
Alias to: Write to file - /dev/null

Then:
Virtualmin(Choose domain) - Edit Mail Alias - Add an alias to this domain
select All mailboxes
deliver locally(yes): devnull

Should I deliver locally or "Forward to other address" ?

It appears to work though I am not sure if it is going to the device file /dev/null

Thoughts?

Thanks again

Oh and P.S. I found out about your pricing by clicking the compare link at the bottom of the page. The $139 was a little much for what we are doing (less than 10 domains) and all owned and run by me, but then just now I clicked on "buy" at the top and saw the MUCH lower prices… I guess the compare page is out of date. Had I seen it earlier I possibly would have spent the money but now I seem to have things up and running well so no need really (other than a working virus scanner for email)… Anyway maybe the compare page should be updated?

I found out about your pricing by clicking the compare link at the bottom of the page. The $139 was a little much for what we are doing (less than 10 domains) and all owned and run by me, but then just now I clicked on "buy" at the top and saw the MUCH lower prices... I guess the compare page is out of date. Had I seen it earlier I possibly would have spent the money but now I seem to have things up and running well so no need really (other than a working virus scanner for email).. Anyway maybe the compare page should be updated?

The compare page is correct. It mentions the 50% Early Adopter discount in the price field. The current Early Adopter discount offer will be ending in about a month.

We don’t have any desire (or economic ability) to be the “low cost” option. We’re building the most powerful hosting management tools on the planet, and our prices will be competitive, but not significantly lower than, our leading competitors.

If price is a major concern, we recommend Virtualmin GPL. You can’t beat the price, and the functionality is still better than any of our competitors in almost every regard.

As for your question:

Look in the maillog to see where the messages are going. I certainly don’t know better than your mail log does. :wink:

Anyone? Can I do this black hole trick using Virtualmin? If not how?