setup multiple websites on a single vps

Hi,

I have just installed virtualmin on a fresh Ubuntu 12.04.3 x64 vps. I would like to use this vps to host multiple websites with different domains. I can’t seem to find relevant tutorial guide on this. I hope the veterans can point out some directions/steps to have it done.

For example:

I want to set up 3 websites on a single vps.
They are 1aaa.com 2bbb.com 3ccc.com.
The 3 domains are pointed to the same server ip address.
I installed virtualmin on subdomain.1aaa.com
The setup is successful. Email, FTP and website is working fine for 1aaa.com
1aaa.com has a SSL cert.

The problem arises when I create a new virtual server for 2bbb.com
Out of a sudden, the email, web and FTP doesn’t work for 1aaa.com
2bbb.com is not working either

I tried to delete virtual server for 2bbb.com
Still, 1aaa.com is not functioning as per normal

I don’t know how to fix it now.

Digressed…

I realized whatever configuration is done on command line is not reflected on virtualmin setup. Is it a bad practice to use command line when virtualmin is installed?

Can you explain “configuration on command line”? What exactly did you do on command line that “is not reflected on Virtualmin”? In general, using the shell is no problem, as long as you know what you’re doing. :slight_smile:

What do you mean with you “installed Virtualmin on subdomain…”? Virtualmin is not really installed on a domain, but it manages all domains you create with it.

Hosting multiple domains on one IP/VPS is a completely usual setup, nearly all web servers do that.

To give any meaningful help, you need to elaborate “out of a sudden, … doesn’t work”. What exactly happens, what errors do you get, what’s in the syslog/mail.log/etc in /var/log at the time you try?

If this gets too complex to do via forum, I can offer a screen sharing / instant messenger session. I can do this for free for 30-60 minutes, if it takes longer I’d need to charge a small fee.

“configuration on command line” - for eg. adding new user

“installed Virtualmin on subdomain” - for eg. www.domain.com, abc.domain.com (www and abc is a subdomain) Post Installatin Wizard - the name used for Primary nameserver

“Hosting multiple domains on one IP/VPS is a completely usual setup, nearly all web servers do that.” - I understand it is common practice, my question is pertaining the use of virtualmin panel

“out of a sudden, … doesn’t work” - when a new virtual server is created with nothing changed on 1aaa.com

On 2bbb.com FTP connection gives 421 error. I deleted 2bbb.com virtual server and tried 1aaa.com. On 1aaa.com FTP connection gives 530 error even when login credentials are correct.

I don’t know how complex it can be when it is a vanilla install.

Is it a correct step to create a new virtual server for each domain?

You can add new Linux users via command line, no problem, as long as they’re not intended for use within Virtualmin (e.g. email or website FTP users - such users must be created from within Virtualmin).

It is recommended to not use a Virtualmin virtual server domain name as the primary nameserver’s hostname. It’s possible to do so, but introduces a level of complexity that’s hard to debug via the forum. If you strictly need to do this, I’d recommend a screen sharing session. Otherwise it’s better to use an independent “administrative domain” (as I call it), like “myhost.mydomain.tld”, that is not one of the virtual servers.

To reproduce your FTP errors, you might first want to check ProFTPD’s logfiles in /var/log/proftpd. It’s hard to say what exactly happened there via the forum (my wild guess is some user account problems), it can have quite a number of reasons. For this too I’d recommend screen sharing.

Each domain that should have individual web contents or (email) users of its own needs a new virtual server, yep that’s right.

I understand we can use command line with virtualmin installed. My initial post is “I realized whatever configuration is done on command line is not reflected on virtualmin setup.”

My initial post is “I installed virtualmin on subdomain.1aaa.com The setup is successful.” so I reckon I did figured out it is to be installed in a subdomain.

The FTP errors is 530 and 421. I think as the error explicitly stated, it is due to incorrect login and connection closed. With both errors, I assumed the FTP is correctly set up. Perhaps I need to configure something in the panel to work with additional virtual servers.

I don’t think the situation can be very complex as it is a vanilla install. For someone who is familiar with virtualmin will know the right place to get things fixed.

English is not my native language and I think we have a communication barrier. I understand that you provide paid service. I’m not keen of paying or doing a screen sharing either. Thanks for your reply and you can move forward to other newbies to promote your service.

I’m quite familiar with Virtualmin, yes, but I can impossibly say what precisely you did and what problems occurred from that, remotely via the forum. That has nothing to do with you using a “vanilla install”, even then it’s a very complex system (especially if you do things like using a Virtualmin virtual server as the main nameserver hostname - as I outlined) and anything can go wrong. It can be a simple solution, but still very hard to guess without seeing the situation for myself.

I suggested you take a look at the ProFTPD logs and check if the users that receive the error are still correct, did you do that? If you don’t follow my advice, I can’t help you.

I’m not simply trying to “promote my paid services”. If you follow my posts, you’ll see that I try to help people here for free and spend a good deal of my free time doing so. I charge a fee only if it takes longer and only if you want that. I mentioned the fee just to be honest, since I can’t spend hours on end helping you individually for free. It’s likely though that your problem can be solved quickly.

Since my spare time is limited, I try to spend it as efficiently as possible when trying to help others for free. And screen sharing is just a much quicker and more efficient way to help you than trying to guess what your problem might be. Also your English seems quite good enough to me judging from your posts.

Anyway, it’s of course your decision. I shall “move forward to other newbies” then. Take care!

I reckon technical troubleshooting is different from doctor consultation. Majority of technical problems is solved with the help of forum community. If it can’t be solve remotely, the next step is to ditch the hardware. Don’t waste time further.

“If you follow my posts, you’ll see that I try to help people here for free and spend a good deal of my free time doing so.” I clicked on a few posts randomly and coincidentally, it is all about informing people how difficult it can be and promoting your paid services.

" I charge a fee only if it takes longer and only if you want that. " - Your FIRST unsolicited reply do not answer any of my questions nor providing constructive advice other than responding ambiguously, warning newbies(myself) how complicated the situation can be and promoting your paid service concurrently.

If you don’t see it, I didn’t demand a specific user(yourself) to help. It is non obligated to respond to any thread. I didn’t bug you for your time. You respond to my post self willingly, promote your paid service and mention your time is limited - hence the charge is needed. I find it quite amused.

“I suggested you take a look at the ProFTPD logs and check if the users that receive the error are still correct, did you do that? If you don’t follow my advice, I can’t help you” Thanks for the apparent advice. Of course, check FTP logs for FTP errors. Who checks Dovecot/Postfix log for FTP errors?

A vanilla install refers to a default virtualmin setup. If it gets very complicated, it means this hosting panel is full of flaws. Are you one of the developer, contributor of this software?

That is how I see it, someone just jumped into my post to promote their paid services. It is absolutely nothing wrong to charge for a service but your marketing tactics is distasteful. You respond ambiguously baiting on fears and frustration to sell your paid services.

Yes, your “spare” time is limited. Please do move on to other newbies.

ps: It may not occur to you, I find it impolite to quote/cite someone words by words. But since that is your preferred communication style, I have responded in a similar way.

I’m sorry to see that you have such a low opinion of me. But I won’t invest the energy here to try and change it, everyone’s entitled to their opinion.