Setting up web hosting accounts

Hi,

I would like to set up as a hosting company an I am a bit confused as to how I would use Virtualmin.

When someone takes say the "gold pack" that allows them up to 50 domains and websites, how do I give them those rights ?

I have set up a "gold" pack in my server templates system.
Is that the way to go ?

So, say their first domain is "myfirstdom.com"
Do I set that up as a "gold" template.

Then are all their other servers (up to 50) automatically sub-servers hanging off of the one I created ?

I assume that they would need access to VirtualMin in order to create the sub-servers?

Do you have any documentation specifically for setting web host business?

Thanks for your help<br><br>Post edited by: Davvit, at: 2008/12/10 01:17

Howdy,

Sure, setting up a "gold" template is a great way to do it – I assume you created a template from the default settings, and just changed the few items that should be different (such as limits and quotas and the like).

Whenever you go to add your first account, you’d go into Create Virtual Server, and as you’re setting up the account details, you would set “Server configuration template” to your “Gold” template.

Then, once that user logs in, if they add a new domain to their account, it would indeed become a sub-server.

And yes, they would need Virtualmin access to create a sub-server – but when you create their account and domain, part of what Virtualmin does is setup a Virtualmin user giving them a limited set of permissions, including the ability to add those 50 domains.

The majority of the docs available are here:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/

If you don’t see what you want in there, just yell, it may mean one of us should create it :slight_smile:
-Eric

Thanks for reply.

The "Basic settings and usage" has stumped me a bit

Rather than "Gold" I am using "Pro Plus"

The "Pro Plus" Client should be able to create up to 200 web servers for 200 domain names. I set that up in the "Default Domain User Limits"

But what do I check in the "Basic settings and usage" ?

Here is what I have:

Thanks

Please see previous post.

I thought I would also show what I set in the
"Default Limits"

and the bottom part of that screen …

actually the best thing to do imo is to clone the default template and experiment with the options. create a server and log in as that user to see what you can do and what permissions you have when in doubt.

thats the best way to get to know your product and limits.
Personally I wouldn’t set things to automatic as you then do not know exactly what the limits are.

Thanks for your reply.

Just going back to the "Basic Setting and Usage"

For setting up a template that allows a client to manage 200 websites what should I select:

For Use BY: Top Level or Sub Servers or Alias Servers or Owners or ALL of them ?

What is the difference ?

And :
Available to Resellers: ALL, NONE, Only Selected

Which should be checked in this situation.

And there are two final questions on that form
should I select YES or NO ?

Thanks

I believe the "For Use By" is going to effect when the template presents itself as an option.

In your case, I’d probably make it available for top level Virtual Servers.

That means the users you create can be given that template, and will be assigned the privileges given to them within that template.

Whenever they create a new Virtual Host, it’ll default to using “Default Template for Sub-Servers” – which is fine and what you want, they can only make as many of those as they have permission to create – as set when you created their account using the Pro Plus template.

Does that make sense?
-Eric

I didn’t notice the second half of your post underneath your image initially –

The “Initially Selected” questions simply are asking if you’d like for a given template to be the default or not. It defaults to “No”.
-Eric

Thanks Eric.
I’ll set it up like you said.

And I will set the default template to the most used one to make it easier for me. I assume that it wont like more than one template being set to the default. ( But maybe its clever enough to reset the others to "no" when you set one of the templates to "yes" ? )

Thanks again.