Seting a full server redy for hosting

I know there is a lot forum topic for this but no full one from bigging to end. There is this video series http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dENitBkYe8 but not detail how to setup your server so you can host another websites. Also https://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/dns/faq don’t totally cover all the questions. I wont full tutorial how to setup full setup for dedicated server with one dedicated ip address and domain which is both from goddady.
My point is how to setup the server so when i do DNS Check there is no error.

I think this is mast to do for better usage and understanding of virtualmin for hosting.

Tanks
Clementine

This is not just for me but for everyone how wont to start a server and host web sites with Virtualmin. Because I think Virtualmin is great tool for that.

Howdy,

Under most circumstances, the following document will get you up and running with no errors:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/installation/automated

If you’re getting errors, let us know what errors you’re seeing and we can discuss how to fix them :slight_smile:

-Eric

Well…

When I type host xx.com xx.xx.xx.xx I get
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
My domain is registered at godaddy and there is the xx.xx.xx.xx ip set for the name serverns1.xx.com and ns2.xx.com and that domain is pointing to that ns.

I also change the /etc/host to be like this after instalin Virtualmin to be like this

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
xx.xx.xx.xx s1.xx.com s1
is there any need to change anything in virtualmin and does the DNS record shuld be like something this

$ttl 38400
yourdomain.com. IN SOA ns1.yourdomain.com. info.yourdomain.com. (
6H
1H
5D
20M )
yourdomain.com. IN A 1.2.3.4
mysql.yourdomain.com. IN A 1.2.3.4
www.yourdomain.com. IN CNAME yourdomain.com.
ns1.yourdomain.com. IN A 1.2.3.4
ns2.yourdomain.com. IN A 1.2.3.5
yourdomain.com. IN NS ns1.yourdomain.com.
yourdomain.com. IN NS ns2.yourdomain.com.
mail.yourdomain.com. IN MX 1 yourdomain.com.

where info.yourdomain.com should be replace by s1.xx.com??
and when add www.xx.com. IN CNAME xx.com.
because there is no cname in there i get error.

Also when i do host xx.com i get the corect ip but when I do host xx.xx.xx.xx i get
xx.xx.xx.xx.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer xx.xx.xx.xx.yy.com.
yy.com is where my server is located in there network.

When i do dns check i get:

No glue records found at parent name servers for ns2.xx.com and

Checking name server authority:
xx : no nameservers
One or more name servers is not authoritative for this domain (or did not respond in time).

Howdy,

Hmm, some of the above errors you’re getting make it sound like either BIND isn’t running, or isn’t remotely accessible.

Is your server running behind a NAT router? If so, you’d have to forward port 53 UDP in from your router.

Also, is there a firewall in front of your server? If so, you’d need to make sure it wasn’t blocking any DNS traffic.

Now, to make sure BIND is running – what output do you get if you run this command on your server:

netstat -an | grep :53

And then, regarding this –

Also when i do host xx.com i get the corect ip but when I do host xx.xx.xx.xx i get xx.xx.xx.xx.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer xx.xx.xx.xx.yy.com. yy.com is where my server is located in there network.

Running “host xx.xx.xx.xx” does a check on your reverse DNS. That’s something your ISP controls – you can contact them in order to modify your reverse DNS.

-Eric

So my big question is does this code in /ect/host is ok?
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
xx.xx.xx.xx s1.xx.com s1

and does in DNS record info.yourdomain.com. to change with s1.xx.com?? like this to work properly
$ttl 38400
yourdomain.com. IN SOA ns1.yourdomain.com. info.yourdomain.com. (
6H
1H
5D
20M )
yourdomain.com. IN A 1.2.3.4
mysql.yourdomain.com. IN A 1.2.3.4
www.yourdomain.com. IN CNAME yourdomain.com.
ns1.yourdomain.com. IN A 1.2.3.4
ns2.yourdomain.com. IN A 1.2.3.5
yourdomain.com. IN NS ns1.yourdomain.com.
yourdomain.com. IN NS ns2.yourdomain.com.
mail.yourdomain.com. IN MX 1 yourdomain.com.
And does this is corect?

Does it make any changes if my server is behind NAT or firewall? Or this my BIND is working ok? How to check this?

Tansk

i get this wen i run netstat -an | grep :53

tcp 0 0 xx.xx.xx.xx:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN tcp6 0 0 :::53 :::* LISTEN udp 0 0 xx.xx.xx.xx:53 0.0.0.0:* udp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:* udp 0 0 xx.xx.xx.xx:37592 192.168.1.1:53 ESTABLISHED udp6 0 0 :::53 :::*

And do this info.yourdomain.com shud be change with s1.xx.com in the DNS records? thats is defined in /etc/hosts like it written up.

Tansk
Clementine

Howdy,

BIND is running, so that’s good. And your hosts file looks okay, so long as “xx.xx.xx.xx” is the primary external IP address on your server.

The format of your DNS zone looks okay; whether or not it’s actually okay depends on the specific values there (that are currently masked out).

You could use a DNS testing tool such as the one provided at intodns.com to see a DNS report, where they’ll explain any issues they see.

-Eric