Server Crashed? I think?

Okay, yeah, it does look like your server could use some TLC :slight_smile:

Let’s ignore the packages for the moment, and get your Apache back up and running.

It looks like mod_php is missing from your server… to get that back, try typing this:

apt-get install libapache2-mod-php5

Ok, did that and it appears to have installed with no errors.

Okay, does Apache restart without any errors now? Try running “/etc/init.d/apache2 restart”.

-Eric

It appears to restart now. There are a couple error [warm] messages:

[Wed Nov 24 11:59:26 2010] [warn] NameVirtualHost IP.IP.IP.IP:80 has not VirtualHosts

[ OK ]

I can now get to my website, but still not into VirtualMin or Webmin.

Okay, Apache is up, that’s a good start.

Now, you’ll eventually want to upgrade all those packages that are available for upgrades… at the moment, you’ll at least want to start with the ones related to Webmin/Usermin. You can do that by running:

apt-get install usermin-virtual-server-mobile usermin-virtual-server-theme
webmin-security-updates webmin-virtual-server-mobile webmin-virtualmin-dav
webmin-virtualmin-google-analytics webmin-virtualmin-htpasswd
webmin-virtualmin-init webmin-virtualmin-mailman webmin-virtualmin-notes
webmin-virtualmin-oracle webmin-virtualmin-password-recovery
webmin-virtualmin-registrar webmin-virtualmin-signup
webmin-virtualmin-slavedns webmin-virtualmin-sqlite webmin-virtualmin-svn

After your done, restart Webmin, and try accessing it again.

-Eric

That appears to have updated correctly for the most part. Some of it scrolled by so fast I couldn’t see exactly what it was saying, but when I restarted webmin, there were no errors that I could see at all.

However, when I try to login to Virtualmin, I still get:

HTTP/1.0 500 Perl execution failed Server: MiniServ/0.01 Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:15:13 GMT Content-type: text/html Connection: close
Error - Perl execution failed

Undefined subroutine &main::get_module_name called at /usr/share/webmin/virtual-server-theme/theme.pl line 238.

Looks like in all the output, I missed two other packages you’ll need.

Try running this:

apt-get install usermin webmin

Ok, THAT was step in the right direction. I’m able to get logged back in to Virtualmin now. When I do, there are 52 updates to the system. Should I go ahead and install them? Or what should my next step be? It appears at least I’m back to where I was before this happened.

Well, I’ll put it this way… on a normal server setup in a normal fashion, you’d typically install all updates as they became available (though, perhaps in the evening to minimize the chance for any downtime). Not installing updates means that security updates and bugfixes aren’t being applied.

I don’t know much about how your server is setup, so I don’t know if it classifies as “normal” :slight_smile:

It would probably be just fine to install all those updates.

But you may want to have a contingency plan of some sort in your back pocket, in case something goes terribly awry.

Oh, and if you don’t already, I’d certainly suggest going into Backup and Restore, and generating a backup schedule for all your domains so that you have a nightly backup of your data.

You may also want to get copies of /etc (amongst other things).

-Eric

Thanks Eric! I appreciate all your help. I had a backup in place before this happened, but didn’t have the /etc directory backed up as well, so I would have still been out of it. I will put in a cron tonight to regularly backup the /etc directory and then let Virtualmin backup itself.

jbh