sendmail: change mail from

sendmail’s using MAIL From:daemon@localhost.localdomain to send mail right now instead of the hostname that I have set on the server with hostname -v. I need the mail from to be daemon@hostname.com

Is there anyway to change that?

Also, I have a red X next ‘start mail server’ in virtual min even though service sendmail start works fine. Any idea why?

Howdy HDC,

On the domain name issue, you need to make sure your hostname reverse resolves, I believe. (e.g. "host 192.168.1.1" should return whatever your hostname is)

There may also be an option in Sendmail to set it explicitly, though I’m not sure what it is–I haven’t worked with sendmail in a long time.

On the red X issue, you need to make sure the Webmin Sendmail module knows where all of your Sendmail files live. Browse to the Module Config and confirm that all configuration files are where Webmin thinks they are. If you’ve installed from source rather than from your OS-provided package, you’ll definitely have the wrong paths and will need to correct them. If you did install from OS-provided packages, then it might be a buglet in Webmin’s default configuration for Sendmail on your OS.

Also, I have a red X next ‘start mail server’ in virtual min even though service sendmail start works fine. Any idea why?

I got the same for ProFTPd and tried all to get rid off it, even what you suggested, to no avail still.

Hi Mischko,

That’s all that it can possibly be. The only way to fix it is to make Webmin aware of where you services are located (and make sure it is correct).

Really, there’s almost nothing else that can possibly go wrong with those status checks. Double check the configuration to make sure the appropriate Webmin module can actually manage, start, stop, etc. the process, and the Virtualmin buttons will work and report the status of the server accurately.