Sending email through MS Outlook 2007

hey it worked…I fixed the DNS (i think) Thank you everyone

also, Joe, I changed the hostname from eServer to domain.com i think that changed the name of my ubuntu machine.

I’m just wondering if its possible to change the machine name without affecting anything?

Thanx

I'm just wondering if its possible to change the machine name without affecting anything?

I thought we were hoping to effect things…like, you know, making mail work. :wink:

Since you aren’t hosting DNS locally, there isn’t a lot that’s effected by changing the name. Nothing comes to mind, actually…but I might be wrong.

Thanx Joe.
Also my domain controller has the same domain… will that cause problems?

Also my domain controller has the same domain... will that cause problems?

Almost certainly, though I don’t know what a “domain controller” is. You can’t sanely have two systems with the same name on the same network (where “the Internet” counts as one network).

Oh, unless you actually mean “the same domain”. You can have an unlimited number of systems in the same domain (virtualmin.com, www.virtualmin.com, mail.virtualmin.com, joe.virtualmin.com, jamie.virtualmin.com, etc. etc., all are in the virtualmin.com domain)…but they can’t have the same name.

my email server hostname is "abcd.ca" and my domain in active directory is also abcd.ca, but the name of the windows server machine is different.

i hope they wont cause any confusion

my email server hostname is "abcd.ca" and my domain in active directory is also abcd.ca, but the name of the windows server machine is different.

i hope they wont cause any confusion

I think only I’m confused. I don’t see how two systems with different names could cause problems.

and your confusion has answered my question. Thank you joe, and everyone else…

you guys are awesome!!!