Safe change of mailboxes login?

Hi

Previously I had Virtualmin setup to config login for mailboxes accounts to be in format name of mailbox.customeraccountid but then I realised it was lot easier and better for customer to get basically mailboxlogin = email
Is it safe to do that change by editing each account in virtualmin and updating [IMAP / POP3 / FTP login] field with email adress ? No impact on mailbox itself or on delivery/send ? Only thing is customer having to update email client configuration !

Thanks for confirmation,

Vincèn

Operating system: Ubuntu
OS version: 20.04

No. It is not that simple.

If you’re wanting user@domain.tld format, you’ll need to create an extra user-domain.tld entry in /etc/passwd for each user. Virtualmin manages this for you, if you create users via the email users page and it has been configured to use this username format. But, if you’re changing it later, you’ll have to do it yourself.

And, you’ll need to update the /etc/postfix/virtual map file to be correct for your new names.

e.g. something like, for each user:

user@domain.tld user-domain.tld

Then restart postfix (it may require manually regenerating the map db using postmap, I’m not sure if a restart regens maps…been a long time since I’ve manually done anything with Postfix, as Virtualmin usually handles everything except special cases like this).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.