Running a migration on existing domain

I’ve setup a new hosting provider with a new domain and for now, just added one domain and my own account. It’s setup as test.domain.com and I pull email onto this server using fetchmail. All is working well and I’m going to start to migrate the other domains shortly.

However I also want to migrate all of the rest of this main domain.com. Can I leave my existing account intact and still do the migration? Will it bring across the rest of the domain ok, and will the fact that the domain exists cause issues?

If not, is there an alternative method to this?

Thanks,
Nick

Hi Nick,

Virtualmin views test.domain.com and domain.com as entirely different things.

They can be owned by different Virtual Server owners, have different DocumentRoot’s, different BIND zone files, and the like.

So you shouldn’t have any issue importing domain.com just because test.domain.com exists.

Have a good one,
-Eric

Thanks for the reply, but I probably didn’t explain it very well. The domain I’ve created is actually goya.com.au. It’s just that the only active DNS entry for the new server is a test.goya.com.au DNS entry, just so I can access it myself before I get everything moved over.

So the domain in the old system (plesk 8) is goya.com.au and I’ve already got goya.com.au in virtualmin pro.

Thanks,
Nick

Okay, I see what you’re asking.

And it’s a fine question :slight_smile:

I think what you might want to do is when you perform the restore, pick and choose the specific features you want to restore (it’s all on the restore options screen).

Since you have some things setup already, just have it restore the features that you don’t have running yet.
-Eric

Thanks. My main issue is going to be that I have mail already setup, and have one user record already created. So with the migration I’m hoping to move all the “other” users to the new server and leave this one user intact.

The rest of the migration should be fine, except for the mail for this user.

Thanks,
Nick

Sorry, I didn’t really ask a question there : So will the existing user be altered at all? And will it break the migration if it encounters a user that already exists?

Thanks,
Nick

Well, it’s going to depend on which features you restore :slight_smile:

I’ve never tried what you’re doing there, so I’m reluctant to say “it’s going to work fine, and you just need to do X, Y, and Z”.

I’d certainly make a backup before you do this, for example.

If you can, I might even try it on a test system first, if you can.

Barring that, the thing to do would just be to make sure you’re only restoring features you’re sure you need.

Maybe someone else who’s tried this before can chime in with more input :slight_smile:
-Eric

I’ll likely do the migration later in the week or on the weekend, so I’ll post the results when it’s all done.

Cheers,
Nick

There’s a really short answer to this : virtualmin won’t let you migrate a domain that already exists.

So my choices were going to be to either remove what is already there and delete the domain and then import from scratch, or to put the whole thing on a new host and then just move this one user. I decided on the second option, so I’m all up and running now.

Cheers,
Nick