Running a internal test server

I have a client with 17 domains on a dedicated server. I need to setup a testing server for working on the sites in a non-live enviroment. These sites use Miva Merchant, PHP and SQL. I setup a box with CentOS and Virtualmin. I have one site working fine (the ip address of the testing server) but when adding other sites I can ONLY access them from the server. I need to be able to access these sites from th entire LAN with WinXP, Win7 and Mac workstations. I have tried assigning different ports to the domains, different (LOCAL) IP address. I tried everything I can think of and have spent hours and hours on the forums but can not find anyone doing the same thing. The reason for Virtualmin is to just keep the management of the testing domains easier. My client will be adding 4-5 new domains a month and I thought this would just be easier to manage with.

So what am I doing wrong or is Virtualmin not designed to run as a testing server.

Thanks
Jim

We’d need more information about your setup, and what exactly you tried and what failed, to venture a guess here as to what could be wrong. First thing that pops to mind here is “incorrectly configured nameservers” though. :slight_smile:

So, before I go through a large list of things that COULD be the reason, tell us what precisely you set up and tried please.

(Virtualmin is surely able to run a “test server”. There is no fundamental difference between a test server and a “real” one, aside from probably Internet-side accessibility and official domain names. But the principles are identical.)

That may be the problem. I’m using localhost.localdomain. I do have an old address no longer in “live” service that is ns1.xxxxx.com and ns2.xxxx.com or should I use the same as the live server.

Thanks

My experience with LAN is that you usually have to fill the hosts file on the local PC from wich you connect from.
For windows this would be C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
an entry would be
192.168.1.100 myclient.com # IP is the virtualmin server e.g. Apaches address
192.168.1.100 www.myclient.com # IP is the virtualmin server e.g. Apaches address

There may be other solutions, but this is the old skool way

Hi!
First, sorry for my english, i’m from Poland :slight_smile:

I have dynamic IP and use DynDNS service. I use server running webmin with virtualmin.

I need to create nev server (called: nevserver1) which is available from the address: mydomain.dyndns.com/nevserver1 or IP 192.168.1.20/nevserver1 (or ~nevserver1), NOT nevserver1.mydomain.dyndns.com (because it’s impossible with free version of dyndns service).

This is for all users from internet, modification the hosts file in win/linux can’t be.

I hope you understand me :slight_smile:

Please help :slight_smile:
Thankz a lot

Easiest way to do that would be setting up a vserver in Virtualmin e.g. “mydomain”, don’t turn on the “BIND” feature (you’ll configure your zone via Dyndns), and put a subdirectory “/nevserver1” into the domain’s public_html folder. As for the “~nevserver1” variant, what exactly would you need that for? Should be possible to set that up with a “Website Redirect”.

And don’t forget to forward port 80 in your router to 192.168.1.20. :slight_smile:

BIND is disabled on my server, and i can’t modify zone via DynDNS, the free option includes one free domain eg. mydomain.dyndns.com.

“put a subdirectory “/nevserver1” into the domain’s public_html”
How to do this ?

As for the “~nevserver1” variant, what exactly would you need that for? Should be possible to set that up with a “Website Redirect”.

This can be with mod_userdir in Apache :slight_smile:

Thankz :slight_smile:

You don’t need to modify the DynDNS zone, it is sufficient when www.yourdomain.tld points to your IP.

“put a subdirectory “/nevserver1” into the domain’s public_html” How to do this ?

Just create a directory named “nevserver1” in the public_html folder of your Virtualmin vserver and put the website contents there. Take a look at the domain’s home directory, you’ll find it there (except if you renamed it - but if you knew how to do that, you’d not have needed to ask that question :wink: ).