RHEL 5.2 / CentOS 5.2

Last month RedHat released RHEL 5.2, and a couple of days ago CentOS entered into their QA phase for 5.2. I run CentOS.

My biggest question is this:

Are there going to be any problems when all those updates roll out to my system, or should I hold off from installing these updates until you give us the go-ahead?

The beauty of RHEL and CentOS is that any major release version should be completely and utterly compatible with stuff that runs under other releases of the same major version. This is why people pay the big bucks for RHEL–it’s a wonderfully stable platform to build on. Stable not just in the sense of “it doesn’t crash much”, but also in the sense of “stuff that ran yesterday continues to run today, even though I updated the system with a bunch of new packages”.

In short, if anything breaks, it’s probably Red Hat’s fault, but I don’t expect anything to break.

We haven’t had any problem reports, and I’m sure we have users running RHEL 5.2 (even though CentOS is more popular, RHEL is still a popular OS for Virtualmin and we have dozens of RHEL 5 users).

Huzzah.

It’s sad to think that 5 years ago I was a Network Engineer running a moderate sized independent ISP, and then I went back to school, and in the meantime server technology has changed pretty dramatically. Much of the basics are the same, but all the specifics are different. :slight_smile:

To give you an idea, the last time I seriously worked on setting up a new server was RHEL 3.0.